Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

dealing with muscle cramps

After having my left foot rebuilt a year and a half ago (thanks to too many marathons and other 15-mile days) I'm getting severe muscle cramps in my left leg-inside and above the knee. I'm also getting them in the calf muscle. These things come on suddenly, are bad enough to send me into shock, and make me fearful of having one while zipped up in a sleeping bag and tent. When one hits, I'm up NOW, usually screaming! My doctor's clueless; any thoughts on prevention?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Lots of potassium, and lots of water?
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Have you tried electrolyte tabs? I realize yours may be underlying medical but when summer starts in my neck of the woods I head to the supplement store for me heat = cramps
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Does it only happen in that one muscle? Did the surgeon harvest your semitendinosis and gracilis for your surgery? That could be contributing to it if they did. But that is usually for something like an ACL repair.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDonald View Post
    After having my left foot rebuilt a year and a half ago (thanks to too many marathons and other 15-mile days) I'm getting severe muscle cramps in my left leg-inside and above the knee. I'm also getting them in the calf muscle. These things come on suddenly, are bad enough to send me into shock, and make me fearful of having one while zipped up in a sleeping bag and tent. When one hits, I'm up NOW, usually screaming! My doctor's clueless; any thoughts on prevention?
    Normally, it's dehydration and/or lack of minerals, but in my definitely non-professional opinion, the cramps above the knee seem really odd.

I would think that your first stop should be a physical therapist to check your gait. My guess would be that after your surgery you either favored your foot and that stuck or the surgery physically altered your gait.

Either way, I'm going to bet that you're going to continue to have problems until you get the gait issue resolved, supplements or anything else may lessen or mask them, but they won't fix the underlying problem.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JMSZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Now gait is something I haven't thought about! Thanks, JMSZ; I'll get it checked. I've upped my potassium and hydration levels and it's lessened the cramps, which are pretty much in that leg alone, and will be adding magnesium as well. I currently use electrolyte replacement supplements when I'm working out, but nothing really does the job. Yet!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MacDonald View Post
    Now gait is something I haven't thought about! Thanks, JMSZ; I'll get it checked. I've upped my potassium and hydration levels and it's lessened the cramps, which are pretty much in that leg alone, and will be adding magnesium as well. I currently use electrolyte replacement supplements when I'm working out, but nothing really does the job. Yet!
    Glad to help. I chased a problem for two years which ended up being caused by gait issues, so I understand the frustration.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Uswed to get them once in awhile. Doc recommended Quinine water. Woked for me (especially when I added a little gin!!)
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Uswed to get them once in awhile. Doc recommended Quinine water. Woked for me (especially when I added a little gin!!)
    Ha ha. Keeps malaria at bay too.

I will reiterate what was said about pt. PT and exercising specific muscles could help out tremendously.
    Can't spell scum without U&M... Go 'Cats!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by MSUcat61 View Post
    Does it only happen in that one muscle? Did the surgeon harvest your semitendinosis and gracilis for your surgery? That could be contributing to it if they did. But that is usually for something like an ACL repair.
    no, neither were touched. I've had to have both an ACL and the arch rebuilt. I consider myself to be in really bad shape compared to what I used to be able to do; I'm almost 65 now, whereas up to my middle 50's could hold 22-25mph on a road bike for a century, X-C ski 20 or so k's easily (either skate or classic-skied the World Cup circuit there as a biathlete), or tend goal for ice hockey several evenings a week. Then first the knee, then the foot bailed on me! I'm taking a ton of supplements and vitamins now, plus hiking and mountain biking, and skiing in the Winter. This could just be an hydration issue, but I'm going to get some Wilderness Athlete "Hydrate & Recovery" to test, as well as adding some magnesium to my diet.

I really appreciate all your thoughts on this; it's keeping me from loading up the pack and heading out for the High Hunt here, and I figure I'll have maybe another decade of hunting before I begin to hang up the longbow!