Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ando_31 View Post

That's a pretty interesting way to think of it hardstalk. I wouldn't get a thrill or be proud of myself for killing an animal at anything over 400 yards (I would prefer 30 yards or less to get my heart pumping), but I do push the limits in other aspects of my life and I don't want people giving me grief over it. Personally I feel the same as coloradocowboy on the subject, but I guess all we can do is raise our own children the way we think they aught to be.
    I would have to disagree. I think the hardest thing to do as a parent is let your kid do what THEY want to do and be who THEY want to be. If you raise your kids the way we think it aught to be its a hindrance that retards their full potential. And society. Embrance change and learn with them. But always guide. I think this is a whole nother forum in itself though.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lol...hey now..my out-of-state rifles get dusted off only a cpl weeks before I head out of town just to run a 5 shot group through.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 33 Times in 5 Posts
    To me there are very few true "Hunting" shows on tv, I see alot of killing shows and advertisements. Todays progams it's all about the size of the animal, the distance of the shot, the type of weapon, the bullet, the gear, the bait, the outfitter............ this is the focus on most "hunitng' shows. I know they need sponsors to make the show, but it has become out of control. For these reasons there are very few shows that I can even stand to watch, most of these TV shows send a bad message IMO. I would love to see a show where someone is still hunting timber, even if they didn't see a thing. That's "Hunting", but thats not what sells. I do like shows where the hunter is bow hunitng elk on public land, I will usually watch these if I can stand the personality of the hunter.
    Last edited by Timberstalker; 06-13-2013 at 02:17 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have lived both sides of the gun vs bow hunting debate. As I try to improve my shooting skills to hunt better trophy animals, I find myself torn with some of these long range shows also. I have been more uncertain about the old question of "did I hit it" while gun hunting as opposed to bow hunting, and it has forced me to acknowledge my limited skill level at rifle shooting. I vividly remember most if not all of the animals I have hit poorly and it really bothers me.

I don't discount that the ability and the technology is there to perform long range shots. I question whether there is truly a purpose in it beyond the challenge which could be equalled at a pie plate. I do question if the normal hunter truly understands what it takes to ethically shoot that far. IMO a person needs a steady spotter on the animal when shooting like that so they can see what happens. I wish they would illustrate that a little more clearly along with the many other variables, so people can at least be more educated on the subject. At some point, variables begin to outweigh knowns and the shot approaches "lobbing".

Now to piss everyone off. Lets face it. Most of these hunting shows are merely a marketing platform for sponsors products. Competition shooters are a pretty narrow market. If they can convince millions of hunters that they need to be able to shoot that far, they may get to sell you a really expensive gun and scope. That is why I have really thinned down the shows i watch. I have learned volumes more on this forum and others than I ever have from watching TV.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Timberstalker View Post
    To me there are very few true "Hunting" shows on tv, I see alot of killing shows and advertisements. Todays progams it's all about the size of the animal, the distance of the shot, the type of weapon, the bullet, the gear, the bait, the outfitter............ this is the focus on most "hunitng' shows. I know they need sponsors to make the show, but it has become out of control. For these reasons there are very few shows that I can even stand to watch, most of these TV shows send a bad message IMO. I would love to see a show where someone is still hunting timber, even if they didn't see a thing. That's "Hunting", but thats not what sells. I do like shows where the hunter is bow hunitng elk on public land, I will usually watch these if I can stand the personality of the hunter.
    I used to say that too, but one day I thought about it. I couldn't effectively still hunt, if I had a camera crew following me. Sometimes we forget there's a camera there. I beleive that's why long shots, and tree stands are so popular on TV shows. Much easier to film those.

The problem is the hunters watch those programs, and think that's how they should do it too. You can, but it's not the only way.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    I know, but this was just over the top for me. I remember a couple of years ago on this forum a guy hunting antelope. He actually extended his shot to some range (if I remember about 1000) when he could have made the shot at less than 500. A firestorm erupted and I think he was booted off the forum. I've been thinking about this for several days and finally decided to let off a little steam! Sorry.
    Don't be sorry at all. I just want this thread to go well and not be the same as the one you mentioned.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 4 Posts
    I didn't see that show...I have quit watching most hunting shows, but long range shooting at wildlife IS controversial and many hunters question the ethics of it. If you're broadcasting a 1400 yard shot on an elk on T.V., maybe you might expect to see some negative opinions about it.

My ethical standards are mine alone and they may vary with the circumstances. I'm comfortable with them. And I do support the fact that other folks have their own set of standards, many I would disagree with, others I don't. I know for sure that no one shooting 1400 yards at an animal would be welcome in my camp, but that's me and my standard. The long range guys don't need to invite me into their camp either. We can all have our differences and not impose them on one another, but I won't concede that everything that someone wants to do is ethical, when in MY heart I believe it's not.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    In some areas, the stationary style hunting is a safety approach. Too many hunters on smaller properties can ruin a lot of hunts for others from walking around. and/or get someone in the line of fire.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I used to say that too, but one day I thought about it. I couldn't effectively still hunt, if I had a camera crew following me. Sometimes we forget there's a camera there. I beleive that's why long shots, and tree stands are so popular on TV shows. Much easier to film those.

The problem is the hunters watch those programs, and think that's how they should do it too. You can, but it's not the only way.
    I have to agree with you on both accounts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    When people go out intending a long shot, or using the capability of long range gear to compensate for lack of hunting skill is what I don't care for. I believe when hunting you should get as close as possible, not see how far away you can pull off a shot. It seems backwards to me, just my opinion.

On another note, I did get very annoyed at some hunters a few years back on an elk hunt. I was sneaking in on a herd with a small branch and a spike bull in it. I snuck into my comfort zone, 400 yrds, I was about to squeeze the trigger on the small branch bull when these other "hunters" skylined themselves behind me and spooked the herd. When I spoke to them about spooking the elk they asked why I didn't shoot? They said they had three 7mm's and a 50 cal on the bulls ready to shoot @ 750 yrds. Yes 4 guns on 2 bulls!So even if I did get the shot off the bull would have had to drop, if it didn't they were going to start blazing away at it. I was not too impressed with that crew. My point of this story is just because you have a rifle capable of a long shot doesn't mean you can't get closer. I know not all long range guys are like the ones I mentioned, but having these long range capabilities seem to lessen many peoples ethics.