Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Ultra Long Range Shooting/Hunting

I know this has been discussed at length previously, but I need to vent a little about my concerns on a TV program I watched this week (It was NOT Best of the West). It was elk hunting in Wyoming by a young teen with his Dad who is the show host. This was the boy's first elk hunt. He shot a nice bull at 1473 +/- yards. I think this really sets a bad example for other young/novice hunters. My Dad spent years teaching me the basics of big game hunting. He taught me about ethics, stalking skills and yes he stressed still hunting (ya hear this Old Hunter). Not every novice hunter has the luxury of a VERY expensive rifle, optics and ammunition used in this program. IMHO this type of a program that stresses ultra long range shooting encourages real problems with hunter ethics. I can visualize wounded and lost animals that these shows don't show or even mention.

Sorry about my rant, but this just makes me wonder where our passion for hunting is going. I used to watch and comment on a long range forum, but just got tired of all the junk I saw on it. Sure we have equipment that enables us to shoot at this range, but is it right. Sure ain't for me!!!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think if you throw a novice out there with a regular joe rig, the person next to the shooter will have come closer to the bullet than an elk at 1500yds.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    No, CC; I don't think this is in any way a rant: I"m right with you on this. 1400yards. Why not just call down an air strike? That is irresponsibility being showcased on TV. It does two things I don't like. First, it demonstrates you have NO need for any woodcraft skills, stalking, thinking about wind, and so forth. Second, at those distances, there's no thrill of the hunt involved. It's just "walk out until you see the one you want, and shoot it". It's the pedestrian version of a canned hunt, IMHO. I also say this as a former sniper, but... took a 6pt bull in Idaho coming up on 3 years ago. I could have shot him at 1200 yards, but there's no challenge in that; took the shot at about 85 yards. Close enough to smell him, hear him breathe his last breath in the frosty stillness. Here's the difference for me: at extreme distances it's like a video game, there's no visceral impact of your shot. You're disconnected from the act of actually taking another life. Participating fully in the life-and death-of the forest and it's creatures is what connects me to reality; I'm a part of it, not a tourist.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've said it so many times i'm sure you guys hate me. Long range killing is not hunting. It's just shooting, and about as exciting as hitting a paper target.

The kid will be a great sniper in the military, but if that's all he knows. He has a long way to go to becoming a hunter.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 41 Times in 6 Posts
    Guys. Keep this mellow. I've already shut down posts with this topic. Most guys are very passionate about this and ethics is always up for debate. I'll let this ride but I will be watching it closely. Please keep your posts respectful and understand these are opinions and we all have the rite to them.

Thanks
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ikeepitcold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 71 Times in 10 Posts
    If a Elk is over 35 yds its long range for me!! 90% of the hunt is getting close enough to smell them if you ask me. To me that would be like shooting a elk with a bow at 100yds. Is it right?
    Last edited by 25contender; 06-13-2013 at 09:08 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My question is if this really goes beyond ethics? When I'm talking with folks, and they learn that I hunt, sometimes i get the "EWWWW" response. I explain why we have two verbs, and many use them without thinking of the meaning. I "hunt" for my car keys in the same way i "hunt" for deer & elk-searching for them: that's separate from killing. As a bowhunter, I may choose not to take a shot, and it wouldn't be a first. In fact, my most memorable hunt, for mulies down in CA, I didn't release my arrow. Had an immense 4pt snorting and blowing not 10 feet from me, hidden by a big bush. The wind was in my favor, but he knew something was wrong. He finally bolted, and stopped at about 20 yards broadside, while I held at full draw. I had him, no question, and he knew it! I backed down and he went on his way. Most incredible hunt I've ever had, no question!! And I didn't kill a thing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    Guys. Keep this mellow. I've already shut down posts with this topic. Most guys are very passionate about this and ethics is always up for debate. I'll let this ride but I will be watching it closely. Please keep your posts respectful and understand these are opinions and we all have the rite to them.

Thanks
    I know, but this was just over the top for me. I remember a couple of years ago on this forum a guy hunting antelope. He actually extended his shot to some range (if I remember about 1000) when he could have made the shot at less than 500. A firestorm erupted and I think he was booted off the forum. I've been thinking about this for several days and finally decided to let off a little steam! Sorry.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Actually it was more like 150 yards. The buck was standing right next to the road but we drove on by and set up at 1000.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If I remember correctly, it wasn't what he did or how he made the shot, it was an issue of civility.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley