Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Maybe we could try to find common ground among hunters and not try to alienate others with our own standards. There is no difference in this argument compared to the bow vs. rifle vs. muzzy. Traditional vs. Compound or any of the other hunter vs. hunter "I am better, tougher, cooler, more ethical, smarter, etc. than you" arguments that spread malcontent and division among hunters. Hunters should be coming together, not dividing.

If you don't want to shoot long range, don't. If you don't want to hunt with a rifle, bow, spear, whatever ... don't. That kill was longer than any I have had, or will ever have. Still, it was legal, and I hope he enjoyed the experience, even if others wouldn't. It makes me kind of sad for a kid to make his first kill and be armchair quarterbacked and called unethical by people I respect because he "could" have made a bad shot and wounded an animal.

I actually made a bad shot myself on my first buck. I rushed my shot and gutshot him at about 60 yards. After a long track job and a finishing shot I was elated with my first trophy.

The ranges I shoot in the woods are mine. I am confident in them and will not take a shot outside of my ability. I wouldn't put my limits on somebody else, and I wouldn't want their limits put on me.

IKIC, you know I don't like these threads, and typically stay out, but this is how I feel. We will see how the thread goes from here.

2. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use WY for my rifle Antelope fix every year. My last 5 have all been over 300 yards. Not because I wanted to but because that's as close as I could get. Range time and hand loads made those shots so easy it was basically cheating. That's not the case for everybody though. I have no problem with long shots and for me, anything out to 600 is going to die.
    I think part of what upsets people isn't the distance of the shot, it's that some go out of their way to increase that distance. I, like many, were simply taught to get as close as we could, and it stays with us. It's what you do and you don't think twice about it. When the day comes that I simply plop down and shoot or drive past so I can extend the distance, the shot is then the focus and that stays at the range.
    Last edited by WapitiBob; 06-13-2013 at 10:53 AM.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Maybe we could try to find common ground among hunters and not try to alienate others with our own standards. There is no difference in this argument compared to the bow vs. rifle vs. muzzy. Traditional vs. Compound or any of the other hunter vs. hunter "I am better, tougher, cooler, more ethical, smarter, etc. than you" arguments that spread malcontent and division among hunters. Hunters should be coming together, not dividing.

If you don't want to shoot long range, don't. If you don't want to hunt with a rifle, bow, spear, whatever ... don't. That kill was longer than any I have had, or will ever have. Still, it was legal, and I hope he enjoyed the experience, even if others wouldn't. It makes me kind of sad for a kid to make his first kill and be armchair quarterbacked and called unethical by people I respect because he "could" have made a bad shot and wounded an animal.

I actually made a bad shot myself on my first buck. I rushed my shot and gutshot him at about 60 yards. After a long track job and a finishing shot I was elated with my first trophy.

The ranges I shoot in the woods are mine. I am confident in them and will not take a shot outside of my ability. I wouldn't put my limits on somebody else, and I wouldn't want their limits put on me.

IKIC, you know I don't like these threads, and typically stay out, but this is how I feel. We will see how the thread goes from here.

You're completely free to feel as you do. As we all are. I actually love that there's hunters who take long shots. Otherwise the timber where I hunt would be crowded with hunters. So, even things we don't agree with have a positive side.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can stretch out a rifle in the woods if there's a lot of elevation changes

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hunt archery, muzzleloader soon and rifle. There is "no" one way to hunt for me. If someone can pull it off with whatever choice or style they plan on doing it, than more power to them! It's not my place to tell someone what is right in how they pursue or hunt "their" game with "their" tag.

I live in a state where we have people dictating all the time in what they think is right for hunting and firearms. Like BB said we all need to stick together as a community.JMO
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What bothers me about a shot like that on a hunting show is I believe they are mostly doing it for show and trying to impress people watching.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Maybe I didn't articulate my point very well in my initial post. By showing a very youthful hunter shooting his first bull elk at the range that it was shot at, gives the impression that anyone can do it. I think it sets a bad example for other novice hunters. I can imagine my son at that age watching this show and saying to me Dad I can do that, lets go. It just seemed to easy.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I was going to stay out of it...I changed my mind. I like to find ways to relate these kind of debates on a larger spectrum.

1. When the young caveman threw the first stone to kill an animal did the elder caveman judge him as unethical for not using bare hands?

2. Couple eons later when the first neanderthal used a stick and string to project another stick with forward momentum did all the rockchuckers judge him as unethical?

3. When cowboys came along and used gunpowder and chunks of metals to lob shrapnel into animals bodies did the indians judge them for being unethical?

Point I am making is its pretty much inevitable for humans to go push the limits in any circumstance. This one pertains to hunting. If you grew up with computers in the classroom and ballistic load data at your fingertips along with chrono #'s on any given weapon or bullet size you could possibly imagine I am unfortunately pressed to believe even you would want to tinker. Want to go further, faster. Thats what humans do. And thank god that we have the option in america to do these things. Dont judge a person for something you dont agree with. Judge never ending technology and ground breaking science. Kid or no kid. Animal or no animal. He shot 1400+ yards and hit the mark. Thats amazing if you remove emotion from the subject. Im excited and fully embrace the future of technology. Unfortunately its not always welcomed.

Ill quote luis ck on this.

'I had to sit on the runway for 40 minutes.' Oh my god, really? What happened then, did you fly through the air like a bird, incredibly? Did you soar into the clouds, impossibly? Did you partake in the miracle of human flight and then land softly on giant tires that you couldn't even conceive how they f**king put air in them?...You're sitting in a chair in the sky. You're like a Greek myth right now.

I know its not a hunting quote. But it shows how people disregard the amazement we see on a daily basis.
    Last edited by hardstalk; 06-13-2013 at 01:03 PM.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    These threads aren't all bad. This one has enlightened me on a few different point of views I wouldn't have otherwise thought of myself.

That's a pretty interesting way to think of it hardstalk. I wouldn't get a thrill or be proud of myself for killing an animal at anything over 400 yards (I would prefer 30 yards or less to get my heart pumping), but I do push the limits in other aspects of my life and I don't want people giving me grief over it. Personally I feel the same as coloradocowboy on the subject, but I guess all we can do is raise our own children the way we think they aught to be.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Maybe I didn't articulate my point very well in my initial post. By showing a very youthful hunter shooting his first bull elk at the range that it was shot at, gives the impression that anyone can do it.
    I couldn't disagree more. If I remember that episode right, Aaron clearly said that his kids practice shooting 1,000 yards fairly often. How is that giving the impression that anyone can do it? I only know a couple guys that regularly shoot that far. Also, when that kid has guys like Mike and Aaron Davidson teaching him, you better believe he's getting some good range time in. He put his time in and made an excellent shot on that bull. He earned it. That's more than I can say about most adult hunters who literally dust off their rifles the evening before opening day.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Elkoholic307 For This Useful Post: