Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Would y'all say that the size of the animal plays a big part in how far people are willing to shoot?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Probably...........

As we can all see this is a topic that has lots of differing opinions. There are lots of good points ...on both sides of this. I guess because I am an old fart and have been hunting big game for around 60 years, I was taught to hunt with equipment that was (and is) pretty primitive compared to todays stuff. I shot a buck antelope last season that was 407 yds, pretty far out there for me. Couldn't get any closer, made a good one shot kill. I could not have done that back in the 50's with what I had then.

I just thought the distance on that elk on the show was a little far out there.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am not going to tell people how to hunt and what is ethical. I will say that showing something on T.V is different than doing it in the field with friends or family. I know this kid can shoot and practices a lot. A LOT of people watching that do not practice long range and see someone do something on T.V and then just go out and do it. If you represent our sport on T.V for everyone to see you should be responsible doing so.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    Would y'all say that the size of the animal plays a big part in how far people are willing to shoot?
    Bigger they are the closer I need to get to compensate for buck fever lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Lol...I'm opposite. Shoot the dinks up close (the closer to somewhere I can get a truck/UTV the better) and stretch a rifle out on the better ones if that's what they offer. I had a few years of killing more than I could give away locally so hunting turned into work and that adrenalin rush just doesn't show up much anymore.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have calmed down alot over the years. Making a good stalk on an old buck and taking him with 1 shot without him having any idea Im there is what gets me excited when Im hunting! Im confident out to 400 yards but I try not to shoot over 300 and I will get in to 200 or less if I can. As far as getting them out, the bigger they are the bigger hole I am willing to pack them out of

Thanks
    Congratulations
    About the only thing that gets me going now is being with kids hunting or my wife if its something new to her. I'm thinking its bc I'm not in control of anything and it makes me a nervous wreck.... Now taking a newbie into a situation that I know they aren't going to like is humorous to me. Took a buddy on a spot & stalk hog hunt...he claims he killed 4 in self defense, b/c I managed to walk us in the middle of a herd of about 40. Took the poor fella a while to gather himself.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I shot a wounded 350 pound boar at about 4 feet in self defense once. It was getting dark and it got into some willow trees by a ditch and I was trying to figure out where its head was to finish it off from about 20 feet when it came after me. I shot from the hip and turned it down into the ditch and it got across the ditch in the brush. We waited as long as we could with it getting dark and went in to find it. I couldnt find it so decided to climb a tree to try to spot it. I was almost to the tree when I stepped on that pig! Glad it was dead by then! Had fun getting it back out of the hole it crawled into! Good times! lol
    Last edited by Musket Man; 06-13-2013 at 08:41 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Im not going to tell somebody how far they should shoot, and I don't want anybody to tell me how far I can shoot. However, on a personal level I do not agree with long range shooting, Im trying to get as close as I can...to me that's "hunting". But, that's also why I archery hunt, I haven't shot a big game animal with a rifle in 10 years. Every hunter out there is definately not ethical and never intend to be, Ive witnessed multiple times people chasing deer down in pickups shooting them. My point is, there will always be controversy/ethical debates amongst the hunting community, but as long as it is LEGAL then we shouldn't let it divide us. Im not about to give the Antis any more fuel for their fire they got blazing right now.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Excellent point wapiti66!
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!