Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    I'm waiting for smartphone guided drone strikes to be legalized
    It already is. My buddy is a subguide for an outfitter. Last year they had their hands full with sheep hunters so I told them if they need another guy to glass an area let me know. I ended up a mile or so in on a mountain where he asked me to be at sunrise and report back if I see anything while he takes the client to another spot. Sun up was slow so I made my way over a few mountains. Eventually I found some nice rams and pondered on how to get him in the area without spooking everything. I dropped a pin on my iphone map. Took a close up overhead screenshot of the map. Downloaded a picture editing app. Drew the exact line of how I came in to the area. Sent him the edited image via text. I bailed out and he went in about an hour later. Game over. It was really cool to be able to do that. Im sure the caveman are jealous
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Pretty sure that wouldn't be legal here.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Pretty sure that wouldn't be legal here.
    Its definitely questionable where "radio" communication during a hunt is unlawful. Technically I sent an image of a map. We spoke later that evening about the subject and went back and forth on legalities.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Goes under electronic messaging....gotta go old school and send smoke signals.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    There is just something about shooting long range. I shot a raccoon at 187ys, he was eating my protein block that was meant for the cattle. Recently a fox squirrel was in my shooting stand eating deer corn, I got him at 167 yds. While stationed in Fort Campbell, Ky we shot groundhogs at up to a quarter mile, locals with custom guns were going further. Recently got two Mexican varmints at 500 yds with one shot. I also shot a bull elk at 40 yards with a 7mm. I will not be shooting anything at 1500 yds, first I am not capable and 2nd its to far to walk to check the kill. I would shoot a mule deer in Nebraska at up to 600 yds. Even in Colorado mule deer will see you quickly at 600 yds. If I can get to 400yds, that's where I want to be on mule deer. My most memorable shot was 467 yds on a mule deer. I sat for 32 minutes thinking about it then called my brother to tell him I did everything perfect so I should have killed that deer, finally I went to check and he only ran about 10 yds to the wood line.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by xtreme View Post
    There is just something about shooting long range. I shot a raccoon at 187ys, he was eating my protein block that was meant for the cattle. Recently a fox squirrel was in my shooting stand eating deer corn, I got him at 167 yds. While stationed in Fort Campbell, Ky we shot groundhogs at up to a quarter mile, locals with custom guns were going further. Recently got two Mexican varmints at 500 yds with one shot. I also shot a bull elk at 40 yards with a 7mm. I will not be shooting anything at 1500 yds, first I am not capable and 2nd its to far to walk to check the kill. I would shoot a mule deer in Nebraska at up to 600 yds. Even in Colorado mule deer will see you quickly at 600 yds. If I can get to 400yds, that's where I want to be on mule deer. My most memorable shot was 467 yds on a mule deer. I sat for 32 minutes thinking about it then called my brother to tell him I did everything perfect so I should have killed that deer, finally I went to check and he only ran about 10 yds to the wood line.
    This brings up the point that some people don't go look after the shot. I've seen too many people shoot and just assume they missed. That is one of my major pet peeves. Even if I am "certain" I missed, I look for blood for at least a half hour. There has been three different occasions where the deer I was shooting at didn't look or sound hit yet I found them dead just out of sight from where I took the shot. Also, there has been times when I was almost certain I hit a deer and couldn't find blood. Due to sheer determination and being ultra stubborn I eventually found my animal. This has only happened to myself while rifle hunting but I have also seen it first hand during bow hunting where a double lung shot didn't produce a drop of blood in the snow and we couldn't find the arrow. Lucky for us the snow made it easy to track the heard of bucks and find where one buck had left the group. The deer was dead with a blood spot under it the size of a quarter.

Hit or miss, I look until I am certain the animal is dead or alive...I owe that much to the animal.

With that being said, I know I would have an immensely difficult time finding the exact spot an animal was at if he was 1500 yards away. I've gotten turned around looking for an animal that was 400 yards away when I shot since the only way to get to him was a 2 mile walk around buttes and creeks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    ive shot and killed elk at 50 yards where the bull didnt even act like he was hit. shot, bull looks up, walks a few yards and buckles. at long range that bull may or may not hear that shot and if he is worked up from rut or whatever, or just plain tired, u could nail his vitals and may not even react other than walking into nearby trees, now if you dont see him buckle you wont think it was a hit and wont go searching. in most cases, but i trust we are all sportsmen enough to know our limits.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    On Elk mountain, near Colburn Co I was walking down and a herd of elk caught me from behind. A cow covered the bull but I had a neck shot and a perfect rest, shot was about 100yds, when the gun went off the elk dispersed. I climbed up to the little plateau they had been on, nothing, no hair, not a speck of blood. I had just begun to cry when the ravens below started their here he is song. There was a blood trail about 10 ft wide. The bullet had got the windpipe and juggler, I found him in a drain about 150 yds from where I shot.
    One more, I took a friend hunting about 100 miles from where we live. I gave his the best trail to watch. He shot a ten point whitetail with a 30-30. Claimed he missed, we ask if he looked to make sure (my dad was with us) he said he was sure he missed. I went back the next morning and found his deer still leaning on a tree, the meat was spoiled. I always think of that when the rv show guys leave their gut shot animals till morning.
    I like to hunt late in the day but I am prepared to find any animal I have shot and at least get it field dressed if I leave it over night.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    It already is. My buddy is a subguide for an outfitter. Last year they had their hands full with sheep hunters so I told them if they need another guy to glass an area let me know. I ended up a mile or so in on a mountain where he asked me to be at sunrise and report back if I see anything while he takes the client to another spot. Sun up was slow so I made my way over a few mountains. Eventually I found some nice rams and pondered on how to get him in the area without spooking everything. I dropped a pin on my iphone map. Took a close up overhead screenshot of the map. Downloaded a picture editing app. Drew the exact line of how I came in to the area. Sent him the edited image via text. I bailed out and he went in about an hour later. Game over. It was really cool to be able to do that. Im sure the caveman are jealous
    Hardstalk, Shhhhhhh, don't let Ca hear that, they will have a new bill passed within a month to outlaw it!
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    One time I shot a whitetail buck on the Bighorn River in Wyoming and it fell right down. Then I went and gutted it and drug it back to the truck.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13