Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ando_31 View Post
    With that being said, I know I would have an immensely difficult time finding the exact spot an animal was at if he was 1500 yards away. I've gotten turned around looking for an animal that was 400 yards away when I shot since the only way to get to him was a 2 mile walk around buttes and creeks.
    Excellent point........

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Drop a pin on its location on the GPS & where the shot was from.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by elkoholic307 View Post
    one time i shot a whitetail buck on the bighorn river in wyoming and it fell right down. Then i went and gutted it and drug it back to the truck.
    i love it!!!!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    You all bring up a very good point about always looking after you shoot no matter what. I always look until Im 100% sure I missed. I thought I missed a nice buck at 300 yards in MT a few years ago. I was confident in the shot but he didnt react to it at all. When I got up on top of the butte I found him dead 50 yards from where he was when I shot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I hate the LR shows because most guys watching them probably aren't paying attention to anything but the guy dialing in the scope, the shot, and the animal falling. Although most hunting shows do show all kinds of equipment they are sponsored by, the LR stuff is basicly the gun and scope being used and the only reason the show is on is to sell that combination to some guy that thinks he can buy a box of shells and then do the same thing. John Burns videoed a girl shooting a cow elk at well over 800 yards with his .243 and the comment was that if she could do it that anybody could! Turns out she had never shot at a big game animal in her life, had never practiced any LR shooting whatsoever, and had never touched that gun before she got down and shot that elk. He got reamed for that by the LR folks that know what they're doing and rightly so. There is no argument that this video of Aaron letting his boy shoot that elk was for sales and nothing else and IMO the kid didn't even look like he cared to be there. Maybe that was because he plays all the video games that restart after the kill and that bull was actually dead and didn't get up when they finally found him! Incidentally, for one member who keeps saying he got the animal and that's all that counts I will have to say that he missed the first shot, then recalculated and hit the bull with his second shot and the bull went downhill showing he was hit, but how many ft/lbs of energy did that bullet have when it got to POI? Probably less than what conventional wisdom says an elk should be hit with for close to 100% certainty of killing him. The big problem I also have is the time delay on those long shots. You know a paper or gong doesn't move, but you have no idea what an animal is going to do. That bullet took over one second to get to the bull and in that time he could have taken one or two steps and been missed again, or worse in that it could have been a gut or ham shot wound. How are you going to follow up an animal hit from that distance when you're probably lucky to find where he was standing without having a group of people with you and one person to stay where the shot was taken to assist? How many are even followed up if the animal doesn't drop like most do on those LR shows? Thanks, but no thanks on this LR baloney on live animals! I believe we owe it to the animal to give it a fair shake at living/outsmarting us, as well as doing our thing so that when the animal is hit that there is close to a 100% chance of recovery. IMHO there are very few people that have the time, money, and patience to spend practicing to even attempt it on a live animal and then there is the risk of animal movement where it doesn't matter if they can put all the shots in a 12" circle at 1500 yards on paper.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-16-2013 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Topgun 30-06 View Post
    John Burns videoed a girl shooting a cow elk at well over 800 yards with his .243 and the comment was that if she could do it that anybody could!
    Actually it was 688 yards. And nobody made that comment. Not John Burns, not anyone else.
    Last edited by Elkoholic307; 06-17-2013 at 09:27 AM. Reason: Forgot to correct more of Topgun's post.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will have to say that he missed the first shot, then recalculated and hit the bull with his second shot
    Wrong again. They thought he missed the first shot but when they got up to the bull they saw that he hit him both times.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I hate the LR shows because most guys watching them probably aren't paying attention to anything but the guy dialing in the scope, the shot, and the animal falling.
    You mean to tell me that you know what everyone is thinking when they watch the show?

There is no argument that this video of Aaron letting his boy shoot that elk was for sales and nothing else and IMO the kid didn't even look like he cared to be there. Maybe that was because he plays all the video games that restart after the kill and that bull was actually dead and didn't get up when they finally found him!
    I wouldn't be so quick to judge how people react. Take Ryan Hatfield for example. You don't see him hootin' and hollerin' after he makes a good shot on a trophy buck or bull. Maybe this kid has the same attitude. For you to say that he doesn't care about hunting and would rather be playing video games is outrageous! He obviously cared enough to hike his butt up the mountain in the freezing cold.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I stand corrected on the distance, as the "well over 800 yards" was a typo and should have been "well over 600 yards" and IMHO that's still too far for that gun and scenario being discussed! The comment I mentioned by John Burns was not in the video itself. You obviously haven't been on a couple of the hunting sites that I'm on because John Burns came on one where he was being berated for that video and his comment was that they were just jealous because a young girl did the shot that anybody could do with his system. The sentence you quoted about other guys watching said "probably", so your assumption on that comment is also incorrect. As far as the kid comment, I said "IMO" based on what I saw and on other sites the same comments are being made about the video. Sorry my opinion differs from yours, but that's life Bro! My comment also didn't say the kid didn't care about hunting and would rather be playing video games as you stated, so please don't quote statements and then take them out of context to suit your agenda. Your last sentence may be correct, but who's to say that he wasn't doing it just to please his Dad, rather than because he really wanted to be there? None of us know that and it is pure conjecture because the only one that knows is the family involved. I know from the LR site that you and your buddy like the LR shooting and I don't and have stated why. Again, that's what makes the world go around!
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-17-2013 at 05:43 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    Wrong again. They thought he missed the first shot but when they got up to the bull they saw that he hit him both times.
    I saw this episode and have come to the conclusion that I don't really care if a competent shooter takes long range shots. It's not my style, but a lot of things aren't, so live and let live. But there's 2 things about this that bother me. It's very possible they did miss the first shot and lied about it. Worse things have been done in order to sell a product and make themselves look good. Second, and this is not strictly a long-range issue, but an animal will not always react to being hit. If the elk had run off after the first shot, would the crew had hiked down and over and up to check for sign? Would every long range hunter be so diligent?
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.