Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Thanks

Hunting off a mountain bike?

I was just curious if any of you guys have used mountain bikes to get back to your starting points? There are alot of logging roads where I hunt that I would like to access but most are locked up.(no motorized vehicles) I have hunted alot of the area for years and have always walked in. I just thought it would be cool to be able to cover a few miles quickly on the bike and walk in from there. It seems that when I walk in I always run into guy even a couple miles back. I just thought this would be an easier way to get to a starting point way back in. Let me know what you think.

Thanks
    When I tried this years ago I didn't find it to make things too much easier. Having a heavy pack on a bike is a challenge. And going up hill was tough. However downhill is faster. Maybe now that my gear has gotten lighter and with the right pack on I may have a different opinion.

Thanks
    I was planning on trying this year. I am even thinking about buying an older kid trailer to pack out game if I get lucky.

Thanks
    I do it i try to go as light as posable. living in SO Cal i get a lot of looks when i ride my bike from my house to the trail head with camo back pack and a bow.
    Trying like hell to live the dream

Thanks
    I tried it years ago and it was way more trouble than it was worth. Especially with a pack and bow. By the second day it was in the back of the truck for the rest of the trip. Of course there are no roads where I hunt just trail heads.
    The big problem I had is I would end the day chasing elk a mile away from the bike and then had to go back and retrieve it!!
    Last edited by 25contender; 06-15-2013 at 08:26 PM.

Thanks
    When hunting certain areas I use a mountain bike to get back in there faster.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    If you decide to use a mountain bike, please be careful, wear a helmet, and don't fall off and get a boo boo on your knee.

Actually, I have thought of doing that here in Oregon where a lot of great gravel roads are gated on private timber land. What I think would make it work well would be a good bike trailer, to haul your stuff in, and to haul an animal out.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 06-15-2013 at 08:47 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Umpqua Hunter View Post
    If you decide to use a mountain bike, please be careful, wear a helmet, and don't fall off and get a boo boo on your knee.

Actually, I have thought of doing that here in Oregon where a lot of great gravel roads are gated on private timber land. What I think would make it work well would be a good bike trailer, to haul your stuff in, and to haul an animal out.
    The private timber land is the exact reason that I want to try the mountain bike. Alot of the area I used to hunt had alot of the gates open but almost all have been locked for a few years now. Oh, and don't worry Umpqua. I'll try not to get a boo boo!

Thanks
    6 bulls and a buck have came out on my mtn bike and trailer. Great way to get farther than most. However I am a mountain biker with a quiver of bikes.

Thanks
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1271res.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	83.0 KB 
ID:	5879

Name:	IMG_0322res.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	69.4 KB 
ID:	5880