Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camo stove

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

camo stove

Whats every one using for a stove in the back country? I was thinking of using a jet boil not sure if thats the way to go. It looks nice because all of its there and packs up nice. Looking to buy one just looking for pros and cons, or maybe there is a better one out there Thank you
    Last edited by Ikeepitcold; 06-18-2013 at 08:54 AM.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 5 Posts
    You can't go wrong with the Jet Boil. I love mine and use it every time we hunt.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Jetboil is an awesome all-in-one stove no doubt! Primus also just came out with one similar called the Primus EtaSolo that is basically the same design as the Jetboil, in fact Primus actually used to make Jetboils parts for them but Jetboil took off and started doing it themselves now so Primus designed their own Jetboil aka the EtaSolo. I have a buddy who uses a Primus Express Ti and a primus titech pot and says he can get the stove, fuel, etc all in the pot and save a little size & weight. I really like the All-In-One, Jetboil or EtaSolo, they are super fuel efficient and boil water extremely fast.
    LINTON OUTDOORS
    Serious Gear for the Serious Sportsman
    www.lintonoutdoors.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 6 Posts
    I have a Burnton. Its always worked great. The jet boil looks like a nice setup but it wasnt in my budget at the time

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thank you guys i do think that ill go with that type of system

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have an MSR Pocket Rocket. Its not as efficient, but it has far less parts than a Jetboil for about 1/3 of the price. Twice I've had to heat meals for my friends whose Jetboils broke during a trip.
    DIY til I DIE

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 14 Times in 1 Post
    I really like my MSR pocket rocket.. 1 canister of fuel lasted both me and a buddy for 7 days, we used it every morning for coffee, and every evening for two dinners. Really wish I didn't lug around the two extra canisters the entire time.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have a Primus Omnilite Ti. I got it in large part because it's a multi-fuel stove, it will burn kerosene, diesel/JP8, avgas, white gas or butane mix gas canisters.

The multi-fuel was a big issue with me because I'm still in the reserves and when we deploy, it's difficult to take along butane-mix fuel canisters (airlift safety issues) and could be difficult if not impossible to get them in a local economy overseas, but we have use JP-8 in aircraft, generators and vehicles and diesel is available anywhere from the local economy.

Just something to consider depending on where you plan to use it.

For most camping/hunting use here in the U.S., butane-mix seem to be the cats meow these days, but they can be problematic in very cold weather.

Another thing to consider with the gas canisters is that with some, once you open them, they have to stay on the stove until they're gone. I know Primus, and I'm sure some others, make canisters that can be taken off as needed.

I would think that those canisters would interchangeable with the regular ones...
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the Optimus Crux stove with the GSI Outdoors Halulite MicroDualist pot. I haven't had any problems with the stove. It use butane/propane fuel which is supposed to help when it is colder temperatures. I really like the Halulite since 2 bowls, 2 mugs, and 2 sporks fit inside the pot. If solo hunting, you can take out one bowl combination and put in the fuel bottle. Also, my Crux stove fits inside the bowl so it all packs down nicely. With one bowl, one mug, one spork, the pot, and my stove it weighs just 1lb 1oz. Then throw in a little bottle of fuel and you cant be much over a pound and a half. Still waiting to get the small bottle that fits in the bowl/mug or I would have given the full weight.
    Last edited by tdub24; 06-18-2013 at 08:08 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I use the snow peak giga power stove and the 28 ounce titanium kit. My stove is over a decade old, and the push start finally died last year. The stove folds up into a tiny box about 1.5" x 2.5". the 28 ounce can holds my spork, stove and 1 can of fuel. I can put 2 cans of fuel in the pan and put my stove and spork on top in the mesh bag. The only think I wish it had was perhaps some better enclosure like the jetboil has, but you can't beat the compact size and durability of this stove package. I think you have this entire package for about $120 to $130.