Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Solid NM Antelope units

I'm new to the pronghorn game in NM, hunted them in WY, but not NM. Could any of you offer any info on where to start looking for good areas to pronghorn hunt??

i know I've missed the appl deadline this year, but I'm wanting to get a jump on things in prep for next year.

any and all info would be appreciated!!

thanks!!

Stephen

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Hey Stephen, I hunted unit 17 for elk last year. We saw lots of antelope and big ones. I applied this year for that area. There are only 30 tags so odds aren't great. You might look at the eastmans MRS they have some good info on other units. We saw lots of antelope while driving down there but I couldn't tell you what units they were in. Hopefully I draw an elk or antelope tag again this year and i can give you some more info.

Nate

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen schwartz View Post
    I'm new to the pronghorn game in NM, hunted them in WY, but not NM. Could any of you offer any info on where to start looking for good areas to pronghorn hunt??

i know I've missed the appl deadline this year, but I'm wanting to get a jump on things in prep for next year.

any and all info would be appreciated!!

thanks!!

Stephen
    I have been trying for 2 years(including this year) for an Antelope and an Elk tag in NM, but have as of yet not been sucessfull.

Thanks to NM stupidity, it will get worse trying for a tag as a NR without an outfitter. Those of us who prefer to DIY will only have 6% of any tag allotment available, if we hire an outfitter, then it goes up to 10%.

I am undecided if I will apply in NM in 2012 if I don't draw a tag this year. I'll stick to states with points systems where I stand a better chance of drawing a tag.
    2011 PSE Omen Pro 60#/26.5" 290 fps w/374 grain arrow
    2009 PSE Xforce GX 60#/26.625" 301 fps w/304 grain arrow; 276 fps w/374 grain arrow
    2011 PSE Bow Madness XL 55#/26.5" 243 fps w/406 grain arrow
    2011 PSE AXE-6 60#(IBO)58#(ASA)/26.5" 292 fps(IBO)287 fps(ASA) w/300 grain arrow

Thanks
    Congratulations
    yeah that's what i've been reading. I just wasnt sure how everything worked with the access to private land being better than WY? right?

either way, i wish we could accumulate some pts while waiting on a tag in NM... that seems to be the logical thing to do i.e. CO and WY...why not follow suit?

Well i'd still like to keep trying, i know a few guys that hunt NM ever so often, and i cant keep from thinking there are some great animals up there...

we'll see...

thanks for the help.

anyone else have any experience?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Drawing a NM antelope tag is hard. On top of that sometimes they send you to certain areas of public/private land and you need to do alot of homework to get with the landowners to get permission to hunt. That also gets difficult at times cause everyones outfitting out of the private. NE part of the state has good antelope and good quantities.

Thanks
    Congratulations

NM Goat

I live right next to NM (3 miles away) and have hunted antelope there as a non-resident a few times over the years. I apply every year but drawing a tag is hard to impossible. Due to the new low quota's starting next year, drop the hard part and just call it darn near impossible. But here is how it works......

With a few exceptions, when applying for the antelope tag, you will apply for an "area". This "area" is comprised of several "units". You will not pick the specific, "unit" you want, only the "area". If you are fortunate enough to draw a tag, the State "assigns" you to a specific ranch when you draw a tag. You can ONLY hunt that ranch. The landowner of the ranch has to let you hunt, he cannot charge you anything. In turn for the landowner giving the State assigned hunter access to his ranch, the landowner gets "land owner tags" which he in turn can sell to anyone of his choosing or use them himself.

If you are applying as a "group" there is also the potential that everyone in your party may not be assigned to the same ranch. BUT...the State says you will be "close" to each other. In the 3 times that we have drawn, there have always been 2 of us together and we have always been assigned to the same ranch.

The ranch assignmen can or cannot be a good deal. It's purely the luck of the draw, you might be assigned to a good ranch or you might be on a not so good ranch. In 19 years of applying, I have drawn 3 NM antelope tags, only 1 of the ranches that I was assigned to had trophy antelope on it BUT on all 3 hunts I had a great experience with the land owners. They were very helpful and went out of their way to be nice to me. On one hunt there was an outfitter hunting the ranch with clients. He came to us the night before the hunt started and asked us where we wanted to hunt on the ranch giving us 1st choice on where to go. That way we did not get in each others way.

Earlier I said with a few exceptions you will go the ranch assignment way...there are a very small number of tags that are open for public land. These tags are very, very few and you had better know where you want to go as 99% of the antelope in NM are on private land and with the exceptions of the State issued tags, landowners are not very antelope hunter friendly!

Before applying, read the reg's carefully! Make sure you know what type of tag you are applying for

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for all the great info. i've got a little better feel as to what i'm getting into now. i'll cont to do more research, and make some phone calls.

thanks a lot!!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just drew ANT-2-184 I have never hunted NM before I just got stationed here and am looking forward to being able to get to do some bowhunting down here. I was wondering about the ranch assignment process I thought that they went away from that and we have to get permission to hunt the ranch we want now. Anyone know how it works exactly now?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok so i drew an archery tag so no assignment for me but my question is where is the list for landowners under the new GMU draws because all I can find is the old ones when it was still AMUs