Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

water in the back country

First off i want to thank all the members that helped me on my camp stove question. I was wondering what people are using for water purification in the back country. One of my cousins has the stery pen he said i could use but should i get a pump filter as well. Are the tablets worth bringing. I supose to be safe just bring all four but who has room for that lol. again just looking for some guidence dont want to be buying junk or unnessesary things. Thank you

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    I have the steripen, and really liked using it. I think you'll find that most guys use the Katydon pump type filters, but I had zero issues with my steripen. One set of lithium batteries will easily last you for the duration of your trip. I do take some tablets with me, just in case.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 77 Times in 10 Posts
    I have used the Katadyn Hiker Pro for years and really like the way it packs in my pack. I also bring some Iodine tablets as a backup. Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I have the Sawyer gravity-fed filter system, it's basically a camelback-type of bag with a filter that attaches to the tube. You hang the bag and let it go.

I like it because you don't have to pump it, you can fill the bag, throw it on your pack and when you find a place to take a break, hang it and filter your water. You can actually put the dirty water bag on the top of your ruck and your clean water bag/bottle on the bottom of your ruck and let it go while you're walking around.

Their filter is also a lifetime filter, you run water through it in reverse once in a while to clean it, but that's it.

I modified a piece of drinking tube with a camelback quick disconnect on one end and a Sawyer quick disconnect on the other end so I can hook mine directly up to my camelback bladders using the drinking tube. That way, it's a closed system, so I don't have to sit there with it to ensure that nothing (bugs, leaves, dirt, etc) gets in my clean water bags.

As far as water purification tabs, I still take some along - s**t happens, stuff breaks or gets lost. They're light and relatively inexpensive, so there's no reason why you should be having to choose between dehydration due to lack of water or taking your chances with dirty water. You don't need a month's supply, you just need a couple days worth to get you back to your truck/car/home.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    I used just tabs for a couple seasons but the wait time got a bit tedious when your thirsty. I now carry a katadyn pump and tabs just incase.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I have used the Katadyn Hiker Pro for years and really like the way it packs in my pack. I also bring some Iodine tablets as a backup. Mark
    Same for me, Katadyn Pump with tablets as a back up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    I have a Katadyn Hiker Pro too. I have been very happy with it. I do need to get a new filter for it since its getting blocked up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm using a sawyer squeeze filter which is currently the lightest water filter available at only 3oz.! It really is an unbeatable system.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I pack the pump also. thanks everybody for reminding me not to forget the tabs because "#$%&" happens. I usually try to find a weep on a bank and not mess with my pump filter at all. probably a gamble, but I haven't got the bug yet. but now that i have said that........

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I do the same - a pump with iodine backup. Mine is an MSR pump from REI.