Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Have any of you used the katadyn base camp hanging filter. I thought this would be nice to keep at spike camp and fill my camelback up each morning. I had a hiker pro and it broke after 2 backcountry hunts.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the katadyn base camp system. Tested it out this summer, and it worked fairly well. Took approximately 1 minute to fill a 12oz bottle. Not the fastest filter, but the water tasted good. Everybody in camp seemed to like the taste of the water. Took me a few hours to figure out how to get the bottom from leaking, but now that I got, I am happy with it. Doesn't weigh too much, so if I hit the back country I think it will be with me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    What did you have to do to keep the bottom from leaking? I was also worried about if it is bulky when you are packing it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Fixing the leak really wasn't that difficult, just had a bad decision. The filter comes in from the bottom and is threaded. But the bag is not threaded. There is a black piece that screws around the bottom holding the filter in place. Ultimately, I figured out that I had this black piece screwed on too tight. I just twisted the filter a little, then put the black piece just barely snug and the water stopped leaking out. Not sure why they would design the filter to be screwed in, but no threads on the receiving in.

As far a packing goes, you can put everything inside the bag and roll it up. Doesn't take up too much room and is light. I think I have the weight on my computer at home, if I remember, I will post it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info, I think the base camp and hiker pro are pretty much the same weight if I remember right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My Katadyn Vario weighs in at 19.9 oz, and the Katadyn Base Camp weighs in at 12.2oz (all components stuffed on the inside and bag rolled up). I carry the Vario 90% of the time, but like I previously stated, I will be carrying the base camp in addition if I decide to walk in and stay on the mountain for a few days. Just will have to make sure I am somewhat close to water. Box says the base camp can hold 2.6 gallons, so if I fill it up, I don't want to walk too far with that in my hands.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Used the Katadyn Hiker Pro first time last season and worked great. Also use tablets for back up.

If you don't like the after taste of tablets, pack you some Mios or other beverage mix of choice...

Another thing that helped us was packing in a Coleman 5G plastic container. Once we found water, we filled it up and left at camp to reduce trips back to the water source.
    Heli M Lost / Heli M Tactical
    Spot Hogg-It 7 Pin / Spot Hogg Hunter 3 or 5 pin
    B-Stinger Hunter Extreme Lost / Black
    QAD XD Lost / Black
    Carbon Express Aramid KV 350 / Blue Streak Select 350

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I have used the Katadyn Hiker Pro for years and really like the way it packs in my pack. I also bring some Iodine tablets as a backup. Mark
    X2, two old standbys
    "Elk don't know how many feet a horse has!"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jjenness View Post
    Back in 2007 my hunting partner and I were packing in around 6 miles into the wilderness out of the Cinnabar Basin, north of Gardner MT, for an archery elk hunt. We had hunted the area before and we always drank right out of a stream that was about 2 miles in. Just like in the past we drank from the stream, only this time something wasn't right. By nightfall I had a raging temp, chills, vomiting, diareaha, and a splitting headache. We hastily made a camp in less than ideal terrain and I proceeded to eat every single medication in both of our first aid packs. I have never in my life thought that an illness in the backcountry was going to come so close to killing me. We woke up the next morning and my temp had broke but I still wasn't feeling to well. We hunted the morning and then decided we needed to head out. To top it all off we ran into a young griz at 10 yds on the hike out. Learned a lot of lessons on that particular hunt, or I guess you could say hike since it only lasted less than 24 hours.
    i had the same symptoms but it took 2 weeks for me ..... in all not a good time ..i still will drink out of a spring if im right where it comes out but if im not within 20 yds from the source i filter

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 3 Posts
    Sawyer MINI - hands down winner in my opinion. Just make to sure to keep it cozied up to you at night otherwise you could have freezing malfunctions.