Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Rattlesnake issue

Not exactly a hunting question but figured some of you may have encountered this problem before. I have a mobile home on some hunting property. I've always had problems with mice getting into the trailer and have always set out poison for them; always a constant battle. My sister and brother in law went up to mow grass over the weekend and were watching TV when a rattlesnake came out from behind the TV. After recovering from the near heart attack they tried to kill it but it got away. Any suggestions on how to get snakes out of homes? I'm fearful if there is one there may be dozens. Is there a way to fumigate the trailer to kill everything in it?

Thanks
    I'd say get ahold of animal control and see if they know of somebody who deals with them. I personally haven't had to deal with them (yet), but I've discussed it with neighbors who have and I've never heard of fumigating snakes, it's always been physical removal/killing.

Besides, even if you could fumigate, then you could end up with several (dozen?) dead snakes that will turn into rotting snakes.

Personally, I'd have no issue dealing with one snake in the open, but no way I'd screw with searching a house for them and then trying to clear them out.

IMO, that's just asking to get nailed and if you stumbled into a nest in the wrong place...
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    You might need to get a trained snake wrangler/ exterminator out there and check. Or I would go through everything very slowly and carefully. One question, was it a big rattler or small one?

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather 

Thanks
    I have 2 small children that love to be outside. Every spring we have a couple encounters with snakes and I put moth balls around my yard. 3 years in a row we haven't seen another snake after I put then out. I heard they hate the smell

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    I have also heard the moth ball thing. I think it keeps the mice away as well. Good luck.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Turn a giant Blue Indigo loose in the trailer and treat him nice.

Thanks
    My sister says it was 3 to 4 ft. Old enough to have rattles. She said it coiled up and shook when it got aggravated.

I've been told that burning sulfar will create a gas that will kill all living things if its in large enough quantities. Not sure I want to do that inside a livings quarter though.

Also, we put all kinds of moth balls under the trailer; I guess if the snake is hungry enough he doesn't care.
    Last edited by buckbull; 06-19-2013 at 12:29 PM. Reason: additional info

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikeepitcold View Post
    I have also heard the moth ball thing. I think it keeps the mice away as well. Good luck.
    I'll have to try the mothballs and see if they work on the mice.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post
    My sister says it was 3 to 4 ft. Old enough to have rattles. She said it coiled up and shook when it got aggravated.

I've been told that burning sulfar will create a gas that will kill all living things if its in large enough quantities. Not sure I want to do that inside a livings quarter though.

Also, we put all kinds of moth balls under the trailer; I guess if the snake is hungry enough he doesn't care.
    You'd be very popular with the fire department, among others:

http://www.georgiagulfsulfur.com/fires.htm
    Last edited by JMSZ; 06-19-2013 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by buckbull View Post

So a older snake. He might be the only one so you might not have a nest. Best thing would get a professional out there and check it out.

You need bull snakes. They keep the rattlers away most of the time and get the mice.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Carter Squeeze me release, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather 