Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tender Venison

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post

Tender Venison

Any opinions on the difference in meat tenderness after boning out vs. letting the carcass hang and cool out? I've always let my deer hang for several days in a cool place before processing and have found it to be very tender. On the other hand, one of my relatives usually cuts up his deer very shortly after the kill, and he seems to have tougher steaks as a result (or is this just coincidence?). The reason I'm asking, I will be doing some pack hunting this year for the first time, and wonder if I'm successful and have to bone out my animal, can I expect it to be a little on the tough side at the dinner table?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 6 Posts
    I have never seen a big difference in boned out venison. I think it has more to do with how you are cutting and butchering the meat. There is a big big difference if venison isn't butchered right.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 25contender View Post
    I have never seen a big difference in boned out venison. I think it has more to do with how you are cutting and butchering the meat. There is a big big difference if venison isn't butchered right.
    Can you explain "if it isnt butchered right" are you talking scent glands, grain if meat or something else?
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 48 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    Can you explain "if it isnt butchered right" are you talking scent glands, grain if meat or something
    else?
    Cutting it properly with the grain of the meat in mind. Across the grain tender with the grain jerky. Even De-boned we always hang and age our venison.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 8 Posts
    I think the most important thing is to get them field dresses and the meat cooled out properly asap (I have not tried the gutless method yet). I do like to hang meat a few days but I know its not always possible.The deer I got this was over 10 years old. I field dressed him as soon as I got to him and took pics, got him out whole and hauled him back to camp where I hung him up and skinned him. Hung him over night. It got nice and cold that night right around freezing. Next day I quartered, packed it in a cooler and headed home where I put it in my fridge and started processing. I am surprised at how tender the meat is even with his age. I think tenderness has alot to do with feed too. The most tender deer meat I have had has all come from sage/grass country.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    The one thing to rememmber the bigger and older an animal is the tuffer the meat. A small young animal think Veal... I read a really good artical not to long ago from a Meat Cutter that had been in the business for over thirty years. Was saying that to properly hang meat it is suppose to hang for around thirty days. With a Temp around thirty two degree's give or take a couple with a one to two degree differnce. This temp or time period may not be exact. But, close by memory... In nature by hanging an animal in a tree for days on end. With the temp. Fluxating it will just cause bad bacteria and possibly make your meat taste gamie......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 16 Times in 8 Posts
    My girlfriend works for a butcher and they usually hang beef in the cooler for 21 days. I have had some of it and it was better then any steakhouse I ever been to!! I tend to disagree that older animals are tougher as I have had old deer that were very alot more tender then younger deer. As I said before I think it has alot more to do with feed then anything else and IMO eastern Montana has the best deer meat in the world. I killed a deer there that was atleast 10 years old and you could cut it with a fork!
    Last edited by Musket Man; 06-20-2013 at 05:57 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    What also matters us how quick the animal dies. A quick kill can lead to more tender meat vs one where a deer runs off a long ways and gets that adrenaline pumping. Me thinks.

Also, growing up, my dad and others in our camp would let it hang. I on the other hand like to quarter and butcher the as soon as possible.

Rudy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Sounds to me like there is no real evidence or proof that boning out immediately has anything to do with the meat being tender or not. I personally have never boned one out in the field, but out of necessity will be doing so if I'm successful this year. I guess I'll end up being the judge of my own question, provided I can put one on the ground again this year! Better yet, if I draw in Idaho, I can do one animal one way and one the other and compare the two side by side.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I'll always debone, won't hang unless it's beef. Quickly get it to a cooler, pull the plug & run water through it for a few hours to actually cool all the meat down..then mix ice between quarters and fill with water again. I see a lot of folks almost ruin meat by just dumping ice on top or leaving the cooler lid open if it's cold.