Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Backcountry Food

I have done some research, but was wonder what my fellow backcountry bow hunters were taking with them. I use Mountain House for my dinners, but was wonder what everyone was eating for breakfast, lunch and snacks. I usually take instant oatmeal for breakfast, Cliff bars for lunch and trail mix and cookies for snacks. Does anyone have a favorite high calorie breakfast, lunch or snack?

Thanks
    I use exactly what you're using........except I also use ProBars. All natural with quite a few calories, good nutritional value, and tasty!
    BOHNTR )))----------->

B&C / P&Y Official Measurer

Thanks
    Is the oatmeal you are eating in a similar pouch to Mountain House so you just dump the water in?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IL Hntr View Post
    Is the oatmeal you are eating in a similar pouch to Mountain House so you just dump the water in?
    I use instant oatmeal and place it in a freezer bag. When I'm ready to eat it I pour hot water in the freezer bag and wait a couple minutes and then eat away.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BOHNTR View Post
    I use exactly what you're using........except I also use ProBars. All natural with quite a few calories, good nutritional value, and tasty!
    I have not tried the Probars yet. I did notice that Cliff has a couple products called Builders and Shot Roks. They both have 20 grams of protein and 270 calories. The Builders is a bar and the Shot Roks are small chews. I might try them out.

Thanks
    I "hate" both of those bars. I tried fooling my self into liking them, but yuk! I have taken alot of things but one item I always enjoy is peanut butter and honey on whole wheat bread. That seems to give me alot of energy. I do not worry about the protein factor when hunting as I usually have 4-6 protein shakes each day when at home. There are alot of granola type bars that are good tasting and will fill any void you might have.

Thanks
    shed- peanut butter and honey on whole wheat sounds good. I have read that Cameron Hanes and others are eating peanut butter and bacon sandwiches, but I have not tried that combo yet. I found a couple high calorie recipes online for making your own bars as well. I might try a few and see which ones taste better and have the highest calories. One of the recipes states it has 402 calories per bar, which is exactly what I’m looking for. I don’t know how much they weigh or what they taste like yet. Once I try making them I will weigh them and let everyone know how they taste. If they work I will post the recipe as well. Thanks for all the input so far.

Thanks
    brekfast i usually have something fast like single packaged crawls (2), pop tart etc. Snacks/lunch include granola bars, nature valley bars, gold fish, beef jerky, peanut butter crackers. I usually for lunch/snack will have a gatorade (plastic water bottle with gartorade powder mix) and some sort of energy gel or liquid. Dinner is mountain house.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by JNDEER View Post
    brekfast i usually have something fast like single packaged crawls (2), pop tart etc. Snacks/lunch include granola bars, nature valley bars, gold fish, beef jerky, peanut butter crackers. I usually for lunch/snack will have a gatorade (plastic water bottle with gartorade powder mix) and some sort of energy gel or liquid. Dinner is mountain house.
    Gatorade powder mix does sound good after a hard day. I will have to add this to my list. I use EmergenC, but Gatorade sounds refreshing.

Thanks
    I have been using the Cliff Builders bar in peanut butter and like them, all the other flavors are bad. I also like to take the peanut butter and bacon sandwich. I usually make the sandwich then partially freeze it so it doesn't smash too much when I vacuum pack it.
    Member: RMEF, MDF, NRA, DU, PF and Life Member NAHC.