Thread: Elk Area 100

Thanks

Elk Area 100

Does anyone have any information or helpful hints for hunting wyoming elk area 100 bull tag? Ive only driven through that area before and it all seems like desert to me. Would I just drive around and spot and stalk? Ive read its an easy area to hunt with good bulls... All help is appreciated!

Thanks
    did you draw a 100 bull and 89 deer this year?? i have a buddy that has hunted it ill ask him and see what he says.

Thanks
    I had the tag 20+ years ago. We had never set foot on the unit, did no prescouting and saw several bulls in the few days we hunted before we tagged out.

It seemed as if you can find the terrain that is more broken, where you actually have to work a bit (by that I mean hiking a few hundred yards) to get in to glass it, there were elk all over in those little pockets.

We antelope hunted the area a couple years ago in early October and saw some elk up in the Oregon Buttes area.
    Last edited by Umpqua Hunter; 06-25-2013 at 07:34 PM.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    ADavid, no I didnt draw that elk tag... My little sister did but since shes been hunting once before I said id take her. She drew a 58 bull tag the year before last too, shes obviously doing something right to draw all these tags! Umpqua Hunter, thanks so much for the info, i found the oregon buttes on google maps and they look good! Ive heard its pretty easy hunting like antelope but for elk, is there anything of size out there or should i have her shoot the first decent 6x6 we see???

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kiddwinner View Post
    ADavid, no I didnt draw that elk tag... My little sister did but since shes been hunting once before I said id take her. She drew a 58 bull tag the year before last too, shes obviously doing something right to draw all these tags! Umpqua Hunter, thanks so much for the info, i found the oregon buttes on google maps and they look good! Ive heard its pretty easy hunting like antelope but for elk, is there anything of size out there or should i have her shoot the first decent 6x6 we see???
    You are going to be a busy man ! How did your sister do in 58 last year. I always seem to see elk there after a few days of snow when I'm leaving around Nov. 10th. Figured the snow moved them lower. They like to hang around on private land...

Thanks
    Our 4 day hunt turned into a one day hunt and we saw 18 different 6x6 or bigger bulls...

Thanks
    100 is a unique area to hunt. My wife and I had the that tag last year. if you have time to put into it you should be able to come out with a 300 or better bull. its all desert terrain very hard stalks, but a lot of opportunities. Oregon buttes are a great place to start early in the season and the flats off of them. Most of the people with that tag will hunt around that area. After the first few days they seem to move out of that area. My wife and I saw elk all over the unit, down by the Bridger power plant on the checked board areas there area some big bulls they usually stay on private might get lucky thought so its a good place to check. PM me if you would like some more information. you shouldn't have any trouble getting an elk.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to wyowelder For This Useful Post:

kiddwinner (07-08-2013)