Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Well stated uh, another thing is states probably gain more revenue with a points system because guys like me will apply every year. Lotto states I only put in for when I can either afford it or I don't plan on drawing any other state.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I wish us Wyoming residents had preference points for deer & elk. Non-Residents have pretty darned good odds at drawing tags after 6 years in very hard to draw areas. Areas that I haven't drawn after 20+ years of applying. It's only fair, in my opinion.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by shootbrownelk View Post
    I wish us Wyoming residents had preference points for deer & elk. Non-Residents have pretty darned good odds at drawing tags after 6 years in very hard to draw areas. Areas that I haven't drawn after 20+ years of applying. It's only fair, in my opinion.
    The only reason NRs can draw after 6 or 7 years is because the PP system for us has only been existence for 7 years. The PPs to draw the top units is going to keep going right up like it is in all the other states like CO that take 20+ years to draw. To me a random draw is the fairest way to go and if a person draws a tag in the harder to draw units you could possibly have a waiting period for that person to get back into the draw for the harder units and he could apply for the easier one and be able to hunt just about every year. I've hunted out there most every year since the early 90s and the elk unit where I hunt could be drawn almost every year. Now it's taking within one of max PPs to draw it in the regular draw and even quite a few PPs in the special, higher priced draw. That's why the Bill that was introduced to have a resident PP system was nixed by the Legislature in this session.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-26-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't mind preference points. Guys trying to draw the tag for 10, 15, 20 years probably should have preference. I like the fact that each state does different things. You can decide what states you want to play the PP game in, and roll the dice on bonus point or random draw states. If all else fails, you can rely on general or OTC tags. I wonder what the wait would be if all units went to limited draw? Would hunters be willing to go to a limited draw and not hunt as often but in return have less competition and better quality animals?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    bonus points that are squared make the most sense to me.

if some guys have 20pts and you have 0 and it's a true pref pt system then why bother even applying? at least with bonus points you have a chance to draw be it slim.

I hate the hybrid systems, ie 75% pref pt, 25% bonus BS... one or the other, and ideally a squared bonus point system!

I like points, states with no points means you could apply a lifetime and never draw! whereas another guy could apply for 60years and draw every year! that's statistics for you!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    PP lets you plan and actually evaluate units before dropping points. Of course in CO you can hunt off vouchers every year to fulfill the urge to hunt while hoarding pts to get into a good unit. I know several folks who will burn 20-23pts when a 4th season opens back in the Gunnison basin and it helps them sleep better at night knowing they'll actually get the tags.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    I think preference and bonus point systems are complete garbage, doing nothing but screwing the guy (youth hunters) that don't get in on the ground floor.. Take for example Colorado, the best units take 21-22 points to draw? I wish I would have been forward thinking enough, when I was 7, to get into the points game. But, since I wasn't, ill never have an opportunity to draw that tag. What's the point total going to take when I have kids? 50?

A straight up random draw is the absolutely only fair way to allocate tags.
    I agree with you 100%. My youngest boys are 14 now and I seriously doubt if they will ever draw a moose tag in Colorado.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UH- You obviously make some very valid points here, and I agree, in your current situation, it would be absolute highway robbery to eliminate a point system, and steal from you 20 years worth of time and effort. And yes, there are lots of opportunities for people that are new to the game, but I don't like the fact that people that are just getting started, or kids that haven't started yet are completely shut out, with no hopes of ever drawing an elk tag in the NW corner of CO, or an AZ strip tag, or a unit 10 AZ elk tag, or.... Yet, you could draw NM or ID's very best hunt next year.

Eventually, Missouri will establish huntable populations of elk. When it does, the state will implement a preference point system. And when it does, I'll be in on the ground floor, and may stand a chance of drawing a tag in my lifetime. But, the guy that's a point behind me never will.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't like the true preference point systems that give you 0 chance to draw until you hit max points. What's the incentive to apply. So that's why they implemented the 75-25 split in Wyoming. That's better in my opinion. Gives everyone a chance even if its small one, while the guys that have put in for years will get the tag. I like the 50/50 split of Utah. Montana seems very fair to me but I don't like the fact that you can't just buy a point making everyone's odds diminished for that year. IMO Nevada has the best and fairest system of all. The points are squared for every year that you have applied plus a chance for the current year. Someone with 2 years applying has 5 chances and someone applying for 10 years has 101 chances. That increases the odds for the guy that is persistent but still gives the newbies a shot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    UH, you are right on if everyone on this forum and the rest of the hunting population in the west can afford to hunt and put in for points and tags in 5 or 6 different states for himself, his wife, and kid every year. I am fortunate enough to be able to put in for points in 4 States each season but not everyone has that luxury. What do you say to the guy that lives in Colorado and can only afford to hunt Colorado. If he is just starting the points game himself and his kid will wait 25+ years to draw one of the top units for deer or elk in the state. Here is how I would set this up. Allot 90% of a states tags to residents, let residents use a bonus point system that allows you to accumulate 5 points max and once you have 5 you have the same chance as everyone else that has 5 to draw a tag for said unit. Allot 10% of the tags to nonresidents and put them in a PP system, that way I as a non resident I will know when I have a legitimate chance of drawing a tag and I can plan my hunts between the states I put in for. Just so you don't screw the residents that have been accumulating points you give the guys with 20+ points 5 points to start in the new draw. You give the guys with 15-19 points 4 points in the new draw, the guys with 10-14 points 3 points in the new draw, and guys with 5-9 points 2 points in the new system. If you have less than 5 points in a current PP system you start at 0.
    Last edited by In God We Trust; 06-27-2013 at 09:30 AM.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!