Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Nevada has the best IMO. It's totally random but you get bonus points that are squared. So the BP's get squared and that's how man times your name (#) is put in. It's really great.

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk �� ����[/QUOTE]

Yea , I think most will agree NV has the best system
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That sounds like a pretty good way to run a draw system!
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    It seems to me that Nevada has it right, just as others have stated. With totally random draws like Idaho and New Mexico you could theoretically draw a tag every year, even the best tags, but some people with rotten luck will never even draw a decent tag. Nevada gives those that have been in it the longest an advantage but nobody is excluded from a chance and they will draw a decent unit eventually. The odds are increased with every year that you apply. The only drawback is you can't really plan your hunts in advance because there's no guarantee you'll draw. The only way to plan is by knowing the max points it takes to draw in a PP state like Colorado, but that almost excludes anyone on the ground floor like myself. I understand where you guys are coming from with the preference points systems, they seem unfair at times. Those units that take 20-25 years to draw an elk or deer tag, I'll never hunt but that's ok there are tons of great units out there that don't require that many points. It's the sheep odds that make me groan. I'll never have a guarantee of hunting Idaho, even if I apply until the year I die. In Wyoming I'll eventually draw in my late 40's. It sucks but at least if I'm still alive I'll be hunting sheep! If not I look at it as an investment in the future conservation of that species. IMO random draws are the least fair to those of us that really love hunting and invest our time and money every year in those states that we hope to hunt one day.

Thanks
    Congratulations

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	LT-can-of-worms-art-420x0.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	44.3 KB 
ID:	5954

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    Topgun, actually a PP system like Colorado does exclude everyone except those with max points so people with less than max do not even have a chance at the tag.
    This staement is not true. Colorado has a Hybrid Draw that sets aside a small number of tags in premium, high demand deer, elk, antelope and bear units for a random draw. The units must have taken at least 10 points or more to draw historically and the applicant must have 5 points to their credit. (see page 5 of the current regs) While not ideal, it does offer a hunter the opportunity at one of these premium, high demand tags without them having max points. They can still hunt in other units by using second choice. I do this every year and have managed to hunt here every year. While my tag may not be as desireable, I still manage to fill my freezer and have the opportunity to be in the field hunting.

Pref points are just a means of states making more $$$$, IMHO. If you want to hunt in multiple states every year, you really need to do your homework and understand how each state approaches the application/draw of tags. The only other alternative is to spend lots of $$$$ and go with an outfitter. As a hunter gets older (like me!), you suddenly realize that you only have so many good years left to chase these critters over the mountains. I don't have enough time left to draw some of these great tags, so my choice get less, either give up or spend the $$$$ with an outfitter and get a landowner tag. Thats why my hunting budget gets higher every year (at least thats what I tell my very understanding wife).
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Also moose, sheep, and goat in Colorado are on a weighted points system so anyone can draw regardless of how many points you have. More points just increases your odds of drawing.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    I hunt in Wyoming every year and it doesn't have transferrable landowner tags or any licenses set aside for outfitters. Everything is by draw and then if there are any leftover licenses for deer, elk, or antelope the license go on sale in July on a first come first serve basis. This year the full price buck/bull ones go on sale on 7/10 and the doe/fawn and cow/calf ones on 7/17.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I like to have some chance to draw even if its very low. I find a true PP system like CO kinda discouraging to start applying for. Even if they put 1 tag in each unit up for grabs in a random draw it would make it alot more exciting! If I had to choose 1 I would pick the WY system but really Im glad different states have different systems. It makes the draws alot more interesting!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Nevada has the best system running not just because its bonus points but because you get 5 choices and can draw any of those five choices! I have drawn a 5th choice twice. Whats great is you can dream about those hard to get trophy ares mark them on your application but not be excluded from hunting.

Which is why I hate Idaho. You have to buy a license to apply then there is no guarantee that the hunt you apply for will even have 1 non resident drawn! Oh but thats OK because you can come hunt OTC hunts.

To me preference points can really hinder the youth not necessarilay now but 10-25-20 years down the line. Yes some states have special tags for youth but those youth are only youth for 4-6 years!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    CC you are right about Colorado having a hybrid system for deer and elk. It is a half ass hybrid system! If a unit for deer or elk takes more than 9 points ( may be 10 points) than you can put in for these tags if you have 5 or more points and they set aside a minimal amount of tags for these people. These tags give you a whopping .5% chance of drawing them!
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!