Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    It seems to me that people want to hunt LE units or "trophy" units every year for the simple cost of the tag....

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nitis View Post
    Nevada has the best system running not just because its bonus points but because you get 5 choices and can draw any of those five choices! I have drawn a 5th choice twice. Whats great is you can dream about those hard to get trophy ares mark them on your application but not be excluded from hunting.

Which is why I hate Idaho. You have to buy a license to apply then there is no guarantee that the hunt you apply for will even have 1 non resident drawn! Oh but thats OK because you can come hunt OTC hunts.

To me preference points can really hinder the youth not necessarilay now but 10-25-20 years down the line. Yes some states have special tags for youth but those youth are only youth for 4-6 years!
    I have to disagree. Not that I am against Nevadas system but I think 1st choice odds would be alot better if everyones first choice was drawn before other choices were drawn. Also you loose your points if you apply and draw in the 2nd draw and I dont like that at all. I really like states that points only apply to first choice so you can draw a tag 2nd choice or get a leftover tag and not loose your
    points. There is no guarantee on anything in Idaho but on the other hand you could draw everytime too! There is no guarantee you will have any use for the license you have to buy in Nevada either or any guarantee you will draw a tag thats fairly easy to draw since I didnt draw an antelope tag this year that everyone with the points I had drew last year. So really its not a whole lot different then Idaho. Non residents have to pay to play and hope we get lucky in any state we apply in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    This is targeted to UH because he seems to understand the Oregon system.
    Q: The book implies that 25% of the tags are put into a random drawing. I think this only goes into affect if there are less first choice apps than tags, which is very rare in Oregon. If there are truly 25% random, I would expect to see a number of Trout Cr buck tags scattered around in the point pool from 0 through 9 instead of all of them being 10 and up. Am I right about the apps vs tags, or can you clarify this?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    All preference point schemes are a scam that would be illegal if not run by the government. The only proper system is a straight up random draw each year. Bonus points are just a watered down version of preference points, and just about as bad.

I've taken part in many of these systems for years, and even benefited by drawing some great tags. I've also been screwed by several states that changed the rules many years into the process (CO, AZ). Every state with these systems is always proposing some change to appease another special interest group, who is trying to get a leg up. These systems are politics at their worst, with one group always trying to screw another group out of their tags.
    What these systems do is disenfranchise the majority of hunters in the country. Want to hunt "the strip" in AZ, if you haven't been in the game from the beginning, then go pound sand. In Utah, you can get your check book out and pay for a tag, buying your way to the front of the line. Heck, even an elk tag is effectively a once in a lifetime tag in Utah, unless you buy an auction tag. Not to mention sheep, etc.
    WY points for sheep started out at $7 for NR, and are now $100, and proposals to further limit NR tags are always in the offing. If you haven't started acquiring points, then their is really no hope. How do we justify excluding the vast majority of hunters from participating in these hunts? We will never have enough sheep tags to issue to everyone who wants one, so do a drawing each year, and let the chips fall where they may. A kid that gets into hunting in his 20's or 30's can NEVER be competitive in these point systems. So we favor the old guys (like me) who think somehow they are more deserving than the newcomer. Bullshit. I've drawn tags in states with random draws, and not drawn tags in some of those states as well. I couldn't give a damn about AZ anymore, because I am so far behind the curve as to be mathematically impossible to ever draw. Do we really want more people giving up on states, and not worried about conservation, etc., because they are disenfranchised?
    Go back to random draw in all states.
    llp

5. The Following User Says Thank You to llp For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok well yes it is a scheme to a degree but while in a true random draw you could draw a tag every year you could also never draw a tag as is the case for my dad in Idaho. Over ten years applying for the same hunt that has typically about 20% of non resident applicants who apply draw and he has yet to draw while we know several people who have drawn that tag multiple times.

Back to nevada I look at my five choices to be equivalent to five first choices anywhere else. The best thing is you don't have to worry about wasting a choice on a very hard to draw tag because you might just get lucky. Where some states that you only get one or two choices and by drawing all the first choices there is no chance at your second choice

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by nitis View Post
    Back to nevada I look at my five choices to be equivalent to five first choices anywhere else. The best thing is you don't have to worry about wasting a choice on a very hard to draw tag because you might just get lucky. Where some states that you only get one or two choices and by drawing all the first choices there is no chance at your second choice
    True enough but I bet if you only got 1 choice in NV alot of guys wouldnt put in for very hard to draw units for their first 3 or 4 choices and an easier unit at the end and the drawing odds would be alot better on them. Im not against Nevadas system but I do like states where points only apply to your first choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's all give and take.

It would be min blowing but kinda cool if you could see how other people apply in nevada on all their choices 1-5

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I put tags I would really like to draw but probably never will 1-3 and tags I might have a chance to draw 4-5 and I still never draw anything. lol

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have actually started including more muzzle loader hunts as of late

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    i too have started putting in on muzzle hunts, they are usualy during a good time and not as many people puting in for them. also, whenever there is a new controlled hunt, in a non point system state, i put in for that; being how its new and most people just put in for the same tag every year, leaving it a good chance draw. i put in on a new tag this year that was either sex but opened 5 days before reg rifle and stayed open 2 weeks after general closed. only 120 put in for, if i remember right, 20 tags. thats good odds. i got skunked. next year there will be 900 plus applicants for that tag.