Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    I'm not begining to have that issue, I've had it for a long time. I am almost 72 years old and have been hunting and fishing since I was 6 or 7 years old. Shot my first doves and ducks when I was 8, first deer at 12. Hunting (and fishing) have been part of my families life for generations. During the depression, fish and game were staples that were depended on for food.

When I was younger, used to be a much sought after bragging right....who got the biggest and the most. Everything except predators, was table fare. Luckily my wife came from a similiar family as mine. Over the years my views have changed a lot. A hunting or fishing trip is not a failure if I come home without anything. The trip itself and getting in the field seeing birds, in the mts and on the water is the reward. I love to sit in a blind and watch the geese flying. Don't really need to shoot any to have fun. Today I don't take anything thats not on my menu. I quit hunting waterfowl when my Lab died and besides they arn't really that great eating, at least for me. I catch lots of fish and release most of them. I always bring a few home to eat too.

As most of you "youngsters' get older, I got an hunch that your views will change too. A friend of mine went to Africa some years ago and his Dad went too, just to take pictures. I thought to myself, why would he go all the way over there and not hunt, as he was a hunt too. I understand much better now, 35 years later.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    As I read through this thread I found that I can't relate to any of these posts. I've never felt any remorse after killing an animal. I guess I'm just a monster.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    I don't put as much emphasis on the kill or how I kill but it is more about the quest. There is emotion that comes and there are tears at times that come but they are more so tears of joy and the feeling of being blessed. Being able to have had the experience and the many blessings that come with the adventure and all those experiences can be emotional and they come with many different emotions. I'm not wanting to see suffering or slow deaths in animals and a quick kill is always preferred but the death of an animal is part of what we as hunters do. For me it's more about the adventure, hunt and the gift that the animal is and my role as being part of the caretaker and manager in the equation.

The issue I'm beginning to have is more so how long will I be able to hunt, fish and be in the outdoors the way I like to. As I've gotten older it is harder to get up and down the mountains without putting in more effort year round in keeping fit. I'm also finding in need to be wiser in my decisions these days. When I'm out in the backcountry alone and away from trails I need to get back home to loved ones safe. That's important too.

Thank you for your service to our country and for fighting for our freedom MacDonald.

Thanks
    I really appreciate you guys sharing your thoughts about why you hunt and how you feel after a kill. Thank you. And thank you for your service, MacDonald.

I'll be 39 when I go big game hunting for the first time this fall. The last time I went hunting was for small game with my dad and grandfather when I was 12 or 13. My grandfather was a great and gentle person, but he had no regard for the life of animals, at least not small ones. He carried a .410 and used it to dispatch a skunk and a raven for absolutely no reason. I was horrified. I shot one cottontail with a .22 with iron sights. I could see a tuft of fur go up in the air, but never saw any blood or found the rabbit. I felt pretty bad thinking about how he might be suffering. It took me a long time to realize that hunting didn't have to be just wandering around in the woods and killing whatever reared its head.

I have enjoyed backpacking for more than 20 years, but it has started to seem like calisthenics in the high country instead of something special. I think hunting will be a great way to experience the wilderness with all my senses alert to the world around me. And, I would like to better understand the lives of deer, elk, and bear. When and where they are bedding, eating, drinking. If my daydreaming is any indication, I am sure I will have the adrenalin rush of a lifetime when I finally stalk within muzzleloader range of my first big game animal. I really don't know how I'll feel when I come upon it laying on the ground or when I'm gutting and quartering it. I think I'll feel respect, admiration, and thankfulness.

A final reason I want to start hunting is that I am now a father. I don't know if my boy will enjoy hunting, but if he does, I want to be able to teach him how and do it with him.

Thanks
    If you no longer want to kill an animal, it may be time to 'hunt' with a camera. Nothing wrong with that at all.

I grew up butchering chickens and turkeys and fish so my family would have something to eat. It's matter of fact, for me to eat meat an animal must die.

Thanks
    I for the most part hunt because I like wild game and I like being outdoors. I don't always just shoot something to fill my tag, but thats because me and my wife don't require much meat to last us a long time. I often go predator hunting and I usually just leave them lay where they fall. I don't do anything with hides and not out there trying to make money off of it just want to have a good time with my hunting buddies. I also look at it as helping the big game and game birds population that I enjoy eating. I do feel some remorse if I don't make a clean shot and the animal suffers longer then need be. I still respect all the animals I hunt and I am greatful that I have the opportunity to continue hunting.

Thanks
    Im not saying I totally understand were all of yall are coming from but im only 25 so that mite say something.How ever I do know that the good lord put animals on this earth for us to eat and enjoy , they all must perish at some point and I feel were doing them a favor and us a favor harvesting them at a mature age in good health while they are still good eating, which sure beats them dying of old age in the middle of a harsh winter struggling and starving to death.

Thanks
    I will quit hunting the day I cant come home happy with tag soup! Hunting has taken me alot of places I wouldnt have gone without a tag in my pocket. Some of my best adventures in the high country I didnt even make a stalk or see an animal I wanted to kill but I wouldnt have missed them for anything! If I really want to get to the top of a mountain I will get there no matter how much it hurts. Sure I like to punch my tag and nothing gets me more excited then making a good stalk and hearing the bullet hit and a good animal drop in his tracks never knowing what hit him and never knowing I was there but Im not going to do it on something Im not proud of and Im not going to kill anything I have to hide under the toolbox on the way home so no one sees it. Whatever I come home with is going to be riding proudly on top of the 4wheeler for the whole world to see

Thanks
    I love every part of the hunt, including the kill! I live for it. It isn't about some demonic bloodthirst. It is about the victory of predator over prey. A proud accomplishment forged in effort and preparation. The hunt is a desire built into mankind ... God-given. Denied by many, embraced by some. Worry not EH307, you are no monster. You are an apex predator.

Thanks
    this has been a fun thread to read and hits home for all of us im sure,to some point at least. in 99 i shot a huge lead cow, by the time i got to her she had 2 calves that haven't been weened yet and they were milking on her as i found her. i was 18 at the time and it was hard for me. ive only shot 1 cow since. i stick to bucks and bulls now. all in all, hunting and harvesting an animal is in our blood, every single one of us. its a way of getting back to our ancestors bloodline. by hunting we contribute to the circle of life, hunting and killing are 2 diff things. to kill just for the kill then leave the meat to waist should be the 8th sin. that adrenaline that pumps thru my blood as those ivory-tip antlers merge from the tree line, and as i place my sights and fire, cannot be denied. its like a drug. with a full freezer afterwards.