Thread: Leftover tags

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Leftover tags

After the draw was completed I noticed that area 7 antelope should have had roughly 100 tags leftover, however the left over tag list lists the area as sold out can anybody provide an explanation for this if not I plan to call the game and fish offices to inquire about this. The only thing that makes sense is that they possibly issued them to nonresidents that were not successful in the initial draw

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    Sometimes Colorado will do that if they feel it will benefit a unit by not selling the remainder tags due to game populations being a bit lower than they would like.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 1 Post
    Area 7 is my neck of the woods. The antelope are dying of in this part of the state pretty badly. Just look at the quota the past 5-8 years. It has dropped tremendously. Last year and this year, any leftover tags they do not sell to help keep the numbers up. Why don't they drop the numbers to begin with is beyond me. Probably to make more money. But that is the reason there isn't any leftover tags when there should've been about 100.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 5 Posts
    They divide the tags into 80% Resident and 20% non resident and they do the resident drawings first and whatever is leftover they throw into the non-resident random pool that way they sell the tags at a higher price. dont have any facts to back this theory up just what i put together looking at numbers. Take antelope area 32 doe tags the resident quota was 320 tags and 34 people applied first choice that leaves 286 tags..... where did they go? non resident quota said 362 tags but there is only a total quota of 400 tags for the unit split 400 into the 80/20 split it should be 80 available tags but 80+286= 366 pretty damn close to 362 if you take into account the 2nd choice residents then it looks like 4 tags were given out making 362 tags to non res. hope you all can follow everything i was trying to say haha got a little messy

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts
    Any remaining resident tags after the draw go into the leftover license list that is open to anyone. They do not go over into the NR drawing like you mentioned because of the 80/20 split. The leftover tags cost the same amount as in the draw, other than the $14 application fee that isn't charged, so they still get their money and then some after they go to the leftover list.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 85 Times in 5 Posts
    If that were the case then there would be 286 area 32-6 tags in the leftover list but they never made it there the leftover list says sold out. They sold 362 NR 32-6 tags and 38 Resident 32-6 tags in the draw so yeah they do roll over Into NR draws after resident draws and then after both of those are done they hit the leftover list.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ADavid View Post
    If that were the case then there would be 286 area 32-6 tags in the leftover list but they never made it there the leftover list says sold out. They sold 362 NR 32-6 tags and 38 Resident 32-6 tags in the draw so yeah they do roll over Into NR draws after resident draws and then after both of those are done they hit the leftover list.

To the best of my knowledge there is nothing that says a certain number of tags is to be issued until after the Commission finalizes the biologist recommendations late in the Spring, other than the mandated number of elk tags that go to NRs by statute each year. There is an 84/16 split between residents and NRs for elk tags and an 80/20 split for deer and antelope, as was mentioned. There is also a max established for NR tags for Region NR deer licenses. I do stand corrected because after going in to the stats like you mentioned and in several other various units to check the validity of your statement, it's now obvious to me that the G&F IS moving tags around from the resident pools to the NR pools for their drawing, rather than what I stated about udersubscribed resident tags all going directly to the leftover list. That is news to me and I apologize for my incorrect statement. Sometimes it seems the more you know about their process the more you find out you don't when certain questions like this come up, LOL! There may be an attempt brought forward by the WY Outfitters & Guides Association to raise the NR elk tag to NRs by 1000 and that would have to go through Legislative approval. They also would like to see the elk split go to 80/20 from 84/16 like the other tags that are issued, as well as the 60/40 split for low price/special price NR tags for elk, deer, and antelope be reversed such that 60% of the tags are the higher price and 40% the lower fee. They figure that would bring in 2.5 million dollars in revenue to the G&F and a higher up G&F employee has stated that is correct. If that is presented in a Bill(s) in the next Legislature you can expect a big fight because residents already feel that Wyoming gives way too many licenses to NRs. As a NR living in MI and having hunted in WY almost every year for 20 years I feel that WY is already more than generous to us and seeing as how we pay the bulk of the G&F budget every year I think it would be advantageous to all the residents to leave it that way unless they want to pony up a lot more than what their hunting/fishing fees have always been.
    Last edited by Topgun 30-06; 06-30-2013 at 11:16 AM.