Currently live in Southest Virginia outside of Hampton Roads.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Weather info for Second rifle season GMU 36 or 47

I will be coming to Colorado for the first time to hunt the second rifle season GMU 36 or 47. As it gets closer I am just wondering as to what I can expect for weather. I will be prepared for anything but just looking for some insight. My wife will be coming with me and I dont want her first hunt to be a complete bust as she is getting pretty excited as she has never been elk hunting. Opening day is actually on her birthday so how cool would that be. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon66 View Post
    I will be coming to Colorado for the first time to hunt the second rifle season GMU 36 or 47. As it gets closer I am just wondering as to what I can expect for weather. I will be prepared for anything but just looking for some insight. My wife will be coming with me and I dont want her first hunt to be a complete bust as she is getting pretty excited as she has never been elk hunting. Opening day is actually on her birthday so how cool would that be. Any info would be greatly appreciated.
    Ah, the big weather variable . . . Typically, the high country has got decent snow and cold by 2nd rifle, but the season is usually fair weather in the mid to lower elevations, with temps in the 50s,60s, and even 70s at mid elevations. Now notice I used the words "typically" and "usually" in the last sentence, as those conditions are not always the case. In fact, every so often the 2nd season rifle hunters get lucky with a snowstorm. Sometimes it can be snowy and cold during second rifle season and it can be the reverse of that during 4th rifle in November, just depends on the year. Prepare for any weather between very warm weather (60/70 daytime high) to very cold (well below freezing/snow).

Currently live in Southest Virginia outside of Hampton Roads.
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks HiMtnHntr I actually called the local ranger station today and he told me pretty much the same. I am coming prepared for any weather just making sure I'm I'm well informed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by oregon66 View Post
    Thanks HiMtnHntr I actually called the local ranger station today and he told me pretty much the same. I am coming prepared for any weather just making sure I'm I'm well informed.

Consider yourself lucky if you get some snow and cold. Some snow cover, 20s at night and highs not past 45 would be good!