Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

landowner tags and scoring

this will prob be a heated topic, but im gonna ask anyway, we all know that in some areas landowner tags in hard to draw controlled hunts obviously gives privileged people way way better chances at shooting trophy elk. where I was hunting we called in several monster bulls over from priv prop, several, it was crazy to see how many monster freaking bulls were on this guys property and they knew exactly where prop line was too. during early rifle hunt there's only 35 tags in that zone, but that doesn't include the 15 or so landowner tags this guy gives to his buddies. these guys are guaranteed at least a 330 bull, at least. unfair advantage? hell yes it is, would I take advantage if I could? hell yes I would. should it be scored the same as a dyi public land hunt? I don't think so. they will be though.

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 42 Times in 6 Posts
    Food for thought for sure. Great thread! Look forward to seeing some opinions.
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    Maybe Im missing something on your scoring question. Why should an elk be scored any different if he is taken with a landowner tag?
    Keystone 1, Over!

" I am lost in the dust of the chase that my life brings"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I don't think it should be scored differently. However, I do wish B&C would apply the same rules to private land as Wyoming does for its record fish. If the fish is caught on a private land pond, it cannot be recorded in the record books unless that pond is open for anyone to catch a fish. So, if a guy caught a fish on that pond and it should be the state record and he is the only one able to fish that water, it will not be accepted into the state record books. I don't know if this would help landowners let other people on but I don't think it would hurt.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by birdhunter View Post
    I don't think it should be scored differently. However, I do wish B&C would apply the same rules to private land as Wyoming does for its record fish. If the fish is caught on a private land pond, it cannot be recorded in the record books unless that pond is open for anyone to catch a fish. So, if a guy caught a fish on that pond and it should be the state record and he is the only one able to fish that water, it will not be accepted into the state record books. I don't know if this would help landowners let other people on but I don't think it would hurt.
    exactly, scoring would obviously be the same, but let it be known it was a private land hunt, a lot easier with a landowner tag in those hard to draw zones, these huge private property areas in a zone should be thier very own zone cuz only certain people can hunt it and they don't even have to put in for it. make since?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Believe Me I Understand Everything you are saying about land owner tags, but if you are hunting next to private land and call one of the many monster bulls across the boundary onto to private land and are luck enough to harvest the animal should it be scored any different ? It sure would not make your bull any less of a trophy because you called it off private land. I guess we all can envy a landowner who has a set up like you describe. Also it is amazing that the animals know the property lines so well, especially the real monster bulls and bucks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 38 Times in 6 Posts
    I really do understand your feelings. A certain amount of personal pride comes from the DIY public land harvest. However, you as the hunter are the one who judges the quality of your trophy. I personally don't need a scorer to legitimize the size of my trophy but I don't hold it against others that do. If a guy needs to see his name in writing and is willing to pay whatever for that, it doesn't bother me. Placing that individual in a different category won't likely change how he hunts and it surely won't change how I hunt.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Hilltop For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    As long as the animals are "wild" and not high fenced in, then they are free to roam outside the private property. They should be considered for records just like any free range trophy.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Colorado Cowboy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    i agree, and id stick one of those buggers any day. same as a dyi? not really, the unfair advantage of the landowner tag would be in my pocket every year if I had the op

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    As long as the animals are "wild" and not high fenced in, then they are free to roam outside the private property. They should be considered for records just like any free range trophy.
    My sentiments exactly. My uncle owns a commercial cattle ranch in central Oregon. It is bordered on 3 sides by public land. I cant even begin to count the number of times I've been stalking a herd of elk only to see them turn and cross the fence. Boom Boom Boom from the public land. In fact, IMHO, the only advantage that I have hunting there, is there are less people. In my experience, in this area, the elk move so much and so frequently that I really don't feel like I have much of an advantage other than less pressure. My opinion is that if the animals can move freely from private to public, and vice versa, they should be scored the same.