Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overkill?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Overkill?

I hope I'm not opening a can of worms on this one, but I was at scheels buying some .300 win mag loads and the scheels salesman came over and was talking to me about what I was going to shoot with a .300. I just said, well, mule deer this fall hopefully. Do you have any 200 gr Noslers? And he looked at me and said a .300 is way too big for mule deer and that I should get a .270 if I don't have one. I said well that's what I'm using and went back to looking for ammo. I'm shooting 180 gr Winchesters. Anyway, is there really "limits"? It's just practical vs impractical I think. It'll kill it more dead. Any other opinions? Whether it agrees with mine or not?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    .300 Win Mag is what I use from antelope to elk and everything in between. IMO, there's no "overkill".

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ive shot lots of deer with a 30-06. Same bullet as a .300 mag, just slower. 30 years ago I switched to a 25-06 for deer and antelope. Just my wanting a lighter caliber, nothing to do with .30 cal being too big. Use what you have, become very proficient with it and punch lots of holes in paper. Also remember....dead is dead, regardless what caliber does it.
    Oh yes, the salesman was full of crap!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by CoHiCntry View Post
    .300 Win Mag is what I use from antelope to elk and everything in between. IMO, there's no "overkill".
    x2, well I use a .300 weatherby for all big game. With 180gr, bullets. I love the round, it will knock anything down in North America, and reach out there if needed for a long shot.
    -NRA Life Member
    -Wild Sheep Foundation, <1 club

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'd much rather see a hunter shooting 200gr 300win mag on everything knowing he could hit said animal vs. a guy with the perfect rifle for every animal who can't hit anything.

I try to use an ideal rifle/caliber, ie deer, elk, etc... but have no problem with overkill, certainly prefer an overkill cartridge to an underkill cartridge.

btw I might ask what you're using/shooting, but would never say something like that's way too much or overkill.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 4 Times in 3 Posts
    There is a thing called overkill???

Sent from my iPhone using tapatalk 🎯 🇺🇸
    2013 spyder turbo, 70lbs black out and 2013 pse omen max 60# stormy hardwoods green
    Limbdriver Pro V, Tight spot quiver, Single pin Hogg Father, Fuse carbon blade.
    Scott longhorn 3, Easton FMJ's

AKA: Velvet Feather

Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    My buddy uses .300 it's a great all around gun. Besides my 7mm. Lol
    I don't Break the rules, I Modify them.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I even use a 300wm on our puny rabbit-sized whitetails, which is why I have 3 of them....but also a fan of the WSM, WBY, RUM & Plain Jane 30-06. 30-06 can get it done on everything in North America and a cpl authors have shown that, but no reason to handicap yourself if you need a little extra ummmphh for penetration on less than perfect shot opportunities.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm certainly no expert but my only thought is that if a guy uses the same bullet on elk as he does on say an antelope, the bullet might just blow through the animal without hardly opening up. Like if you were using a Barnes TSX or something like that. Can somebody with more knowledge give me their thoughts on that? Even so, your setup for deer seems fine to me.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 4 Posts
    Annoying salesman

I'd hunt anything in North America with a .300

For my first 20 years hunting I shot everything with a .270, that included multiple moose, 4 sheep, a bunch of antelope, couple caribou, several elk, a grizzly, black bear...etc etc.

For the last 10 I have shot everything with a .300 WSM, that includes a bunch of antelope, some elk, mule deer, and a couple sheep. My wife shoots it and shoots it well.

If you are comfortable with your .300 don't worry about it.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)