Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Overkill?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Multi-SpeciesHunter View Post
    I hope I'm not opening a can of worms on this one, but I was at scheels buying some .300 win mag loads and the scheels salesman came over and was talking to me about what I was going to shoot with a .300. I just said, well, mule deer this fall hopefully. Do you have any 200 gr Noslers? And he looked at me and said a .300 is way too big for mule deer and that I should get a .270 if I don't have one. I said well that's what I'm using and went back to looking for ammo. I'm shooting 180 gr Winchesters. Anyway, is there really "limits"? It's just practical vs impractical I think. It'll kill it more dead. Any other opinions? Whether it agrees with mine or not?
    I guarantee the only reason that guy told you that the .300 was overkill and that you need a .270 is because he wanted to sell you a .270. He's full of crap

Thanks
    Congratulations
    .300 wsm is a friend of mines primary whitetail gun

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    That salesman needs to go work at a store that fits him a little better.. Like Walmart.

.300 is an awesome caliber, that will kill anything you want to shoot it with. No such thing as too dead.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    That salesman must be related to Jack O'Conner. He either use to work at Walmart or will soon work at Walmart. Asking a sporting goods employee at Walmart a question about anything relating to guns, hunting or fishing is a lesson in frustration.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Multi-SpeciesHunter View Post
    ... he looked at me and said a .300 is way too big for mule deer and that I should get a .270 if I don't have one.
    I am regularly disappointed by the lack of manners seen in customer service today. If you were looking to purchase a new gun, a sales person might suggest you consider a .270, but clearly you already have a .300!

I agree with all above. The .300 is a fine caliber for mule deer. As with any caliber, practice so you shoot it well, stay within your effective range and ignore this guy.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 13 Times in 1 Post
    I use my 300 ICL with 200 gr. Nosler Partitions for everything. That bullet has always done a great job from 90 lb. California bucks to 300 lb. Montana bucks. I don't think you can go wrong with that combo.

On the other hand, I've picked up 270 that fits me well and is fun to shoot...LOL!

As for the Walmart guy, who knows what he is basing his opinion on?

Moose
    Last edited by bigmoose; 06-29-2013 at 09:47 AM.
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I upgraded from a 30.06 to a .300 win mag and I use it for everything now. It is my go too hunting rifle now. I started reloading so I load up 165 grain rounds for antelope and the 180 grain bullets for muleys and elk.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 2 Posts
    I will take the other route here guys, I PERSONALLY think it is overkill. I shoot a 7 mag for everything and I think it's too big on alot of things however I will NOT JUDGE ANYONE that does shoot bigger rounds. Heck my uncle shoots a 375 h&h while my dad shoots a 25-06. What one shoots is a personal choice and we have more important battles then bickering over ones choice of caliber.

As far as that guy telling you to look at different calibers. That," I work at Sportsmans warehouse so I know everything" attitude has to go. I went in to buy some powder one day, I asked him if he had any h4895, he replied I do but you should shoot xx powder. I might have been in a bad mood but I engaged this guy and told him I had 5 minutes so he can tell me everything he knows about reloading and what powder my gun likes. He didn't say a word and walked away. Worst part about it was he didn't walk away to get my powder, I had to ask someone else

Thanks
    Congratulations
    haha all great responses. I have a .243 as a second gun for mule deer, so I'm not thinking I NEED a .300. But it'll help on a marginal shot.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 37 Times in 2 Posts
    I agree that a .270 is probably a better choice for deer and antelope sized game. For a one gun meets all needs in the continental U.S you can't beat a 7mm or .300 win mag
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!