Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Overkill?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    I agree that a .270 is probably a better choice for deer and antelope sized game. For a one gun meets all needs in the continental U.S you can't beat a 7mm or .300 win mag
    +1...well said
    Every hunting season you miss is one you can not make up.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    I agree that a .270 is probably a better choice for deer and antelope sized game. For a one gun meets all needs in the continental U.S you can't beat a 7mm or .300 win mag
    While you are probably correct in most cases, there are some legitimate reasons to go with a smaller caliber. Women, small stature men and kids generally are less tolerant to magnum recoil. Yes I know there are ways around this (muzzle brake, light loads come to mind), but these lighter calibers have a place for big game hunters as a solo rifle.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    I've shot groundhogs here in PA with the 338 Win mag,300 Win mag,300 Ultra mag and the 375 H&H. If there ever was such a thing as overkill,that's it. You know,they all died just the same amount as the ones I shot in the yard with the .22 rim fire. Come fall though there were no surprises in the big bore dept. Everything was working just fine and right on the mark.

Thanks
    shot a cow elk 3 years ago with my .338, 10 yards away! no jk. thing caught me by surprise. that thing had a monster hole in it but there were no worries of her getting away, she slammed into the tree behind her and thats where she stayed. overkill? maybe, but it worked. its the guys using .223's on elk that get me wondering what the heck they are doing. i personaly allways stick to my .270, i love it! and never lets me down, well, it did last year but we wont talk bout that one.....

Thanks
    Shot a bear with a 223, one shot kill, drt, well 30yds. Bear was large. My choice for one gun is the 7mm, however I will almost always use the 243wssm for everything. I shot a bear with that too. I know the 25-06 might be a better choice but it wont varmint hunt quit as well, Spot and stalk bear will be the 7mm, anything less is just too dangerous. I don't have a 30-06 but that would be a good one caliber gun.

Thanks
    Soooooooo. What's better, Chevy or Ford?

Thanks
    My little brother. And his father inlaw were at a local shop. Here in Nw Pa. Looking at a new tikka t3 lite 270. For the father inlaw. He said he was going to hunt mule deer and elk. With the new gun. He said it was a tomato stake. And he would never take it out west. Nothing less than a 300 mag. He said. Now his father in law is well into his 70s.

Thanks
    What exactly is the definition of ''overkill''. If I kill a deer clean with 1 shot with a 22lr does it mean that any larger caliber I used to shoot that deer would be overkill? While the 22lr did the job as well as any caliber could of it doesnt mean its the best choice. (for the record I an not in favor of shooting deer with a 22lr). The debate on what caliber is best for what game will go on forever. While a 300 mag may be more gun then is needed to kill some things that doesnt mean it is a bad choice. Personally I shoot a 270 win at everything bigger then a coyote (well guess I have shot plenty of coyotes with it too lol). Is it always the best caliber? overkill? underkill? Probabally not. What I do know is I have alot of clean 1 shot kills with it and that is the goal so it must work! IMO It doesnt matter if you choose a 243 win or a 460 mag, just find a gun you can shoot well and go hunting

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Musket Man For This Useful Post:

trkytrack2 (08-16-2013)

Thanks
    o·ver·kill (vr-kl)
    n.
    1. Destructive nuclear capacity exceeding the amount needed to destroy an enemy.
    2. Excessive killing.
    3. An excess of what is necessary or appropriate for a particular end: "government overkill in dealing with dissent".
    4. Moron gunstore sales clerk spending way too much valuable time and energy worrying that a gun might somehow be too big to kill a deer with.

Overkill.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    Soooooooo. What's better, Chevy or Ford?
    Dodge!