Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Overkill?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Shane13 View Post
    o·ver·kill (vr-kl)
    n.
    1. Destructive nuclear capacity exceeding the amount needed to destroy an enemy.
    2. Excessive killing.
    3. An excess of what is necessary or appropriate for a particular end: "government overkill in dealing with dissent".
    4. Moron gunstore sales clerk spending way too much valuable time and energy worrying that a gun might somehow be too big to kill a deer with.

Overkill.
    So as long as you dont use a nuke, patriot missile, mortar, RPG, or kill more animals then intended it would not be overkill

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Conrad8899 View Post
    ...He said it was a tomato stake. And he would never take it out west. Nothing less than a 300 mag. He said. Now his father in law is well into his 70s.
    Yes. The dreaded "under kill," you wouldn't want that.
    Last edited by Aught6Fan; 07-05-2013 at 07:04 PM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    My Dad used to have a sporting goods/gun shop for years in Calif. (sold it in 1975) I used to work in it PT from the time I was about 12 until he sold it. Started just sweeping, dusting and windows. He used to drill into me "The customer is right (not always!) and help/suggest if asked.

I remember men coming in wanting to buy a "self defense" gun for their wives. First thing I would ask is "Are you and your wife willing to kill an intruder or do you just want to scare them?" If they said...just scare them, I would tell them to go get a baseball bat and don't buy a gun. Then if they could get by the question and really wanted/needed a gun, I would tell advise them not to but a "pea shooter", buy something big enough to get the job done. I usually suggested a shotgun, not a hand gun. Easy to shoot and the person shot usually doesn't get up! Probably overkill, but surely got the job done.

Point is that not everyone is educated enough to really know what they need. But this can only be discussed at their suggestion! In the situation mentioned, the salesman was way out of line...IMHO!
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    I'm certainly no expert but my only thought is that if a guy uses the same bullet on elk as he does on say an antelope, the bullet might just blow through the animal without hardly opening up. Like if you were using a Barnes TSX or something like that. Can somebody with more knowledge give me their thoughts on that? Even so, your setup for deer seems fine to me.
    Hey ND,
    I used a Rem 7 mag for many yrs. on everything up to elk. Never had a problem with under or over kill as long as I did my part.
    Been shooting a 300 RUM for many yrs now and the same thing. I love it. I use it for everything and like extra everrything. I shoot almost exclusively Barnes TTSX and TSX. They are most accurate out of my rifle and drop lopes,deer and elk DRT. The only other caliber I have killed any big game with was a .243 on an antelope buck at about 100 yds. with a partition. It dropped DRT also.
    I like overkill unless it's blowing a couple pounds of meat away. That salesman knew nothing. Probably never shot anything.
    Stick with what you shoot best.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by NDHunter View Post
    I'm certainly no expert but my only thought is that if a guy uses the same bullet on elk as he does on say an antelope, the bullet might just blow through the animal without hardly opening up. Like if you were using a Barnes TSX or something like that. Can somebody with more knowledge give me their thoughts on that?
    True different bullets are designed to react differently when they hit. Example a ballistic tip works great on varmints but would not be a good choice for bigger game because they are not designed to explode on impact and not for deep penetration. Bullet choice is also more important at higher velocities. That said I havent found anything a 130 grain Remington core-lokt from a .270 Win wont kill with a well placed shot

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A tsx passing through is going to cause a wee bit of hydrostatic shock. Shot a bunch of 100gr out of a 257Roy @ 3700 at small critters and they react like water filled milk jugs = FUBAR. Might not expand for the exits, but the soft tissue is obliterated.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you don't hunt anything bigger than deer. The .270 with a 130gr bullet is perfect. If you don't shoot past 150yds. A 30-30 might be even better.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think your just fine with your 300. If your comfortable with it and shoot it well go for it. Just my personal opinion the main thing is putting the bullet in the boiler room. If you shoot a 338 and can't put the bullet in the boiler room then what good does it do you no matter what the species.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    No such thing as killing something too dead! Especially in Colorado where an elk that does not hit the "ground graveyard dead" will provide lots more shooting and tagging opportunities for every hunter within hearing distance. Kill 'em where they stand.
    Patron Life Member, NRA; Life Member RMEF, SCI, NAHHC, NSRPA

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think the .300 WSM is a great hunting caliber especially for hunting out west.. I use it for antelope and mule deer. I shoot 150 grain Accubonds. For whitetail hunting in my home state of MO, I use a .358 Winchester. I like big calibers.
    Last edited by jims; 08-16-2013 at 01:52 PM.