Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Zim, i was reading this thread from the beginning and you drew for archery right? Well don't worry, the bulls aren't too active yet, a few calls here and there but nothing too hot yet. A friend of mine has been chasing em' in the Los Alamitos area since opening day and he said its been pretty quite, he did pull out a muley on the second day though. It sounds like your somewhat familiar with the area, last time you hiked in did you drive all the way to the end of the Walker Flats road and go up from there(about 2.5 miles from the big opening) or did you get the trailhead almost directly after the meadow? Just curious because the trailhead that starts at the lower osha canyon is maybe 1/2 to 3/4 mile from Walker Flats, therefore not needing to go too far on the road your worried about. But if you go all the way to the end about 2.5 miles past this trailhead it looks like you could catch the same trail just further up, from reading your posts, it kinda sounds like thats what you did the last time. I've never been that way, i always go from the bottom but i go on horseback. I will try and attach some GIS maps explaining what i'm talking about. Also let me clarify the Los Alamitos trailhead a little further, that one will put you around the Serpeant Lake area further north of north fork. This trail being closer to above timberline if thats what you want to hunt, but if you like the middle fork, rincon bonito areas then you will want to use the Walker Flats trailhead especially if your hiking. Let me know if this makes any sense or if i confused you.

Thanks
    jay,

I follow everything you mention.

Do you know if all the trails up there are marked? Someone mentioned the forest service was in the process of changing the trail numbering system on all of them. I remember there were many unmarked trails.
    Last edited by Zim; 11-26-2011 at 09:16 AM.

Thanks
    I'm not sure about the trails being marked, i don't think they've changed the trail numbering system with all the cuts in budget that the forest service are under. I have a friend that runs the recreation section, i'll ask him but i highly doubt it.

So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    The wife and I are on a scouting trip for a place to move to in New Mexico, we have been here for 10 days and plan on staying for another 10 days or so. I did manage to get to the Pecos for three days of scouting for my October 22nd elk hunt. Spent the last day up high with my dog and a cup of coffee watching 40 elk, which included 5 bulls, three of which were shooters. I glassed them for an hour along with the 20 turkeys that were running with them. There was also a small bull screaming at me from down the canyon behind me as well. What a great way to spend a morning, enjoying the company of my dog and a cup of coffee. It was a great trip and found a couple places to hunt along with queching a couple bad rumors (at least I think so). I would love to hear if anyone has any input in regards to hunting the unit from the east or north out of Mora via PM. I heard rumors regarding the locals, but they didn't materialize when I visited the area. I only found friendly people up there.

If someone has that contact info for someone to packout an elk I would appreciate it if you would pass it along my way. My hunting partner and I have packed out probably a dozen elk in the past, but its always good to have options. Besides this is a big test of a trip, physically the cancer I fought in 2010 really took its toll, but if determination has anything to do with it I won't have any issues.

This should be a great hunt, I am really looking forward to getting back out in the woods.

Thanks
    Hi guys, I was up there hunting the last 3 days, but had to come down to Santa Fe to get a Spot Messenger. Will cost me 2 days hunting.

The bulls were darn near completely silent. Very surprising. There was a lot of snow up there where my camp is at 12,800'. I got within 100 yards of the biggest bull I saw, but got busted by one of his 12 cows. Saw 3 others, 2 raghorns and a spike.

I'm returning tomorrow until season ends 9/22. This time I'm going in from the Iron Gate Trailhead. It was too crowded on the north and east sides.

No. 7 which trailhead are you hunting from? There are lots of packers up there. I'll scroung up my notes and give you suggestions after my hunt, but someone else will probably by then.
    Last edited by Zim; 02-03-2012 at 03:13 PM.

Thanks
    Zim what area of the pecos are you hunting. I'm going to be out there for the muzzleloader hunt and could use a little help finding a location where there are elk.thanks and good luck Rick

Thanks
    No 7,

I can't help you with the area, but the out-fitter taking us in is Cirle S stables I don't have their # handy but they are easy to find online. Talk to Lou she should help you. Good luck!

Thanks
    Zim, sounds like you into some good bulls! hopfully they turn on for you. Can't wait to hear how the rest of the hunt goes....

So.Cal., but don't hold that against me...UPDATE, soon to be NM
    Thanks
    Thanks Taz, I'll look for them. Good luck on your hunt, can't wait to get back to NM. We are working out some details now, but if things work out we should be putting an offer on the table for a place in Elephant Butte in the next week or so. Regardless I'm heading back on the 19th for the elk hunt.

Thanks
    Cool maybe I'll see you on my way out. Good luck!