Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast
    Thanks

Elk in the pecos wilderness

I am hoping to draw a muzzleloader tag in the pecos for elk this year . Does anyone have any advise for that area? Thanks.

Thanks
    Resident or Nonresident?

Thanks
    Nonresident

Thanks
    We applied for the archery hunt (NR) for our 3rd choice. Will be cool to draw because if so, it will be our first time returning there since 2001. We have a back door way in to go backpacking. I was told quality may be a little lower than typical due to a rotating early muzzleloader hunt there last season which hit the rut.

Thanks
    Zim did you have any luck in 01

Thanks
    We were into several nice bulls, but our hunt was cut short when I sprained my back. I was up each night listening to the 9/11 news and failed to get enough sleep, which caused my back muscles to swell. Spurred by too many years of carpentry. Have learned how to deal with since then.

We paid our dues on 3 backpack hunts in the Pecos and finally felt we had things figured out. Been very eager to return and seal the deal ever since.

Thanks
    I am curious Jay, when JAKEPETTIT asked for advice for the Pecos, your reply was a question, Resident or Non-Resident? Does this matter to you when giving out advice on a hunting area? I see that you are from New Mexico. When he responded that he is a Non-resident, I see that you offered no advice.

I am honestly not trying to prevoke an arguement here, I am just curious as to your thoughts.

Thanks
    Jakepettit, despite what others may think, my question about resident or non-resident was simply that, only a question out of curiosity. I haven't logged on since my last post being the reason i haven't got back to you. I live in Pecos and would be happy to share some info with you. I actually put my son in for the same hunt so hopefully WE'RE successful! That is one heck of a hunt, the tuff thing this year is we'll have a full moon during that hunt to make things a little tricky. The weather has been extremely dry out here so antler growth may suffer but on a high note this may push the rut back a little depending on the October temps...If it was me, i would pack into the wilderness. There are several access points but on the Pecos side, I would recommend Jack Creek campground and go in from there. From that campground as far as you can ride on horseback a full day is prime elk country. High elevation so be prepared. Whether you plan to hike or use horses its a good area. I know a few areas so let me know if your successful on your application. Hope this helps.

Thanks
    thanks Jay I will let you know if I draw. I did not take any offense to the question of residency.

Thanks
    And Jay, again like I said, I was not trying to start anything or say that you were taking sides, was curious and all is explained. Hopefully you will both draw! I have no experience in the Pecos so sorry but no help.