Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post

Hydration Bladders and Freezing Temps

Looking to see if anyone has had any experiences with their hydration bladders becoming frozen in cold temps. Also looking for any tips to keep it or the hose from freezing if that is even possible. Thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 3 Posts
    Never had the bladder freeze on me but have had the hose freeze several times. A couple of things that I have thought of doing are sticking hand warmers around the bladder to keep it from freezing. Another thing you can do is when you finish drinking from the hose blow the water back into the bladder. It's a little gross if you think about it but can keep it from freezing.
    Now therefore, please take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
    Genesis 27:3 (NKJV)

3. The Following User Says Thank You to tdcour For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 15 Times in 3 Posts
    You can insulate the hose, with stuff from a hardware store. I try to blow the water back as well. And sometimes I walk around if it's really cold with the bite valve in my mouth to stop it from freezing. This all worked for me while I was moving. But after I dropped my bull and took the pack off to cut it up for the pack out, the line and valve where frozen solid.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to ssliger For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I had the hose freeze on me on Friday while archery bear hunting as temps were around 15 and it was cloudy. Saturday was the same but only the sun was out. The hose was frozen until I stopped and faced it toward the sun. I had tried blowing it back but didn't seem to work. My cousin had it before me and he put a filter on the hose. I'm thinking that is where my most trouble was at. Luckily around here we don't get too many times where freezing all day is a problem. It just popped into my mind, wondering what you guys do out west where a lot of your hunting in consistently in freezing temps even close to zero.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 34 Times in 4 Posts
    For cold weather I switch to a hydration bladder in its own pack and not a bladder that fits into something else. That way I wear the hydration pack inside my jacket and, as mentioned before, blow my water back after I'm done taking a drink.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Work2hunt For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I've had a few freeze. I bring along a Nalgene bottle for late season hunts. You can throw them in your bag at night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 1 Post
    If it is a below 0 kind of cold I made a pouch out of the insulating bubble wrap stuff you can buy at the hardware store for the bladder. As for the hose I blow the water back down the hose after drinking and then tuck the tub inside my jacket coming down from the collar of my coat. I had to stop and build a fire elk hunting this fall to thaw our the hose because I didn't blow the water back down. I was more then a little nervous about how close to hold it to the fire to get that done! LOL