Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Eberlestock, Tenzing, Kuiu... Coin-toss

Time for an upgrade! I am looking at getting a larger pack for this upcoming fall. The options I am considering is the Eberlestock Dragonfly, the Tenzing TZ5000 or the Kuiu Icon 5200. I am hoping someone with some field experience on any of these could sway me in the right direction.

With the pack, I would like something that I can compress down to a day pack and haul out a good load. I would also the ability to stay out 2/3 nights and still have room to add meat if I'm fortunate enough to have the chance.

I have had quite a bit of experience with the Eberlestock, I've borrowed one for a few years but had to give it back, and it has suited me very well. I like its durability, and the ability to bring out a heck of a load with just a few zips. I like the rifle scabbard so I can carry a walking stick in there and then swap it out for the rifle after a successful trip and hauling out. The weight is noticeable but hasn't prevented me from using it multiple times. Probably because I don't have one to call my own, yet.

Here's the other factor. I live only 45 minutes away from the Tenzing pack at Bass Pro and 45 minutes away from the Kuiu Store in Dixon, CA.

They are almost all the same price and size so I was hoping someone with some recent experience could point me in the right direction in terms of comfort, durability and user friendliness. Any guidance is much appreciate and I'll be hoping for a successful fall for everyone! Thanks!

JB

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Huntinguy0120 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Great thread, I am looking for a new pack also and was thinking about going the with Dragonfly or the " Just One Pack " from Eberlestock. Maybe someone can give some good info!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    I have an Eberlestock pack that I would sell you if you wanted??

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Which one? How much? What condition?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts
    I'd buy the Kuiu over the others, I've had several Eberlestocks, great packs but there heavy and most of them don't have the greatest load lifters. Tenzing haven't dealt with them but they are run of the mill stuff just like Eberlestock, Badlands etc.

Kuiu, MR, Kifaru etc are made for big mountain hunting and heavy loads and far more comfortable with 60+lbs than all the others in my opinion, good luck.
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

7. The Following User Says Thank You to woodtick For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I love my Eberlestock Just One. Purchased it new this year along with the Super Spike Duffle. Used it on a backcountry hunt this year where my Dad and I packed my deer out 8 miles between the two of us. At the heaviest I'll say I had probably 70-80lbs loaded down. I carried that for about 3 miles. Then we split the weight more evenly and I finished the 5 miles at about 50lbs I think. Those are estimates but either way the pack was always very comfortable. I also use it as a day pack and have been very happy with it there too. It's nice to know you have a pack that is comfortable enough and can get "compact" enough to day hunt with, carry everything you need, and then if you get and animal down, you can switch modes and start hauling meat.

I don't have experience with the other packs mentioned, but in my opinion the only think that might make heavy meat loads better is an actual external frame/meat hauler pack with a nice sturdy shelf on the bottom. Like the Main Frame from Eberlestock, or other similar designs by others.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to floatwheeldrive For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    For what it's worth.. I've had an Eberlestock Blue Widow for the last three years. It only gets about 2 weeks worth of hunting time a year, but I do fill it up with about 75 pounds and hike hills for 3 months before each hunt. This fall, the pack pretty much started falling apart on me. Stitching on the top lid came free, allowing small items to fall out, and one of the main compression straps tore free, good thing I just so happened to have an extra compression strap at the truck. And I've had a few buckles break.
    Adding to the comments above: 8 pounds empty, ineffective load lifters, etc... I think a guy could do better, with just a little more money spent.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

11. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fink For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 79 Times in 8 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Fink View Post
    Adding to the comments above: 8 pounds empty, ineffective load lifters, etc... I think a guy could do better, with just a little more money spent.
    I couldn't agree more!
    Kuiu's new Ultra series packs are actually cheaper than most of the Eberlestocks! After I bought all the accessories for the Blue Widow I had I could have gotten the flagship models from Mystery Ranch or Stone Glacier, so end result is I sold all my packs and bought one do it all pack.
    Last edited by woodtick; 09-19-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    TALL, WIDE and HANDSOME

@backcountryhunter

"The will to win, the desire to succeed, the urge to reach your full potential... these are the keys that will unlock the door to personal excellence."
    Confucius

Thanks
    Congratulations
    All those are great choices! I just finished up an Alpine Ibex hunt in Switzerland, and now not so sure on the Eberleestock pack, as while I love the integrated rifle scabbard, going down steep bit, the barrel was making contact with rocks and such, so not sure if that doesn't take them out of the search for me (depending on how much steep stuff you are looking at)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by woodtick View Post
    I couldn't agree more!
    Kuiu's new Ultra series packs are actually cheaper than most of the Eberlestocks! After I bought all the accessories for the Blue Widow I had I could have gotten the flagship models from Mystery Ranch or Stone Glacier, so end result is I sold all my packs and bought one do it all pack.
    Yeah, after adding on the bow bucket (a joke), and the spike camp duffel (necessary), I'm in over $400.

For 2-3 day trips, you wouldn't need the spike duffel, but if you wanted to carry out your camp, and a quarter, you'd probably want to add that to the list, just to be able to keep items separate from the quarters.
    My mind is a raging torrent, flooded with rivulets of thought cascading into a waterfall of creative alternatives.

15. The Following User Says Congratulations to Fink For This Post: