Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    I don't think you'll change the minds of tree huggers, and they have all the fuel they need everytime an animal is killed while hunting.
    I'm not trying to change their minds. I couldn't care less about what they think.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    We're not going to change their minds, and they're not going to change ours. CC- I know you said "after hunting season" but I know in areas I have hunted there are plenty of non hunters out there camping, and they too can be trashing the place. So, to our defense of their (huggers) arguments, it's easy to tell the huggers that just b/c there is trash in the ditch doesn't mean a hunter threw it, and perhaps it was one of their own kind that did it!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by wapiti66 View Post
    We're not going to change their minds, and they're not going to change ours. CC- I know you said "after hunting season" but I know in areas I have hunted there are plenty of non hunters out there camping, and they too can be trashing the place. So, to our defense of their (huggers) arguments, it's easy to tell the huggers that just b/c there is trash in the ditch doesn't mean a hunter threw it, and perhaps it was one of their own kind that did it!
    I drive the road a lot and I really notice the difference. Not very many non hunting campers, etc in late Oct/Nov. Our shooting club and the scouts do a cleanup after the season as long as there is not too much snow.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    I read the article. It was well written but I certainly don't agree with all of it. Especially the political correctness part. I'm not going to change the way I talk just so I don't ruffle some bunny hugger's feathers.
    This -

I'm not going to go out of my way to offend somebody and I'm willing to discuss my views with somebody, but if they don't agree with me, I will gladly agree to disagree and move on.

That said, it's a two-way street and I expect the same respect and consideration from the other side.

The problem is that the anti-hunting/anti-gun/anti(insert evil here) crowd believe that they are not only entitled to speak their mind, but that they are also entitled to force their views and laws on everyone else without any opposition.

Anyone who does voice any opposition does so under threat of being called everything from a (insert innocent target here)-hater to being accused of any number of bad thoughts and inclincations.

Acquiescing to their demands only allows them to win the argument by allowing them to simply stifle any opposing opinions - which is what they want.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    I'm not trying to change their minds. I couldn't care less about what they think.
    I was talking to the thread in general. I usually quote someone when i'm talking to them.

Thanks
    I LOVE to have this discussion with my non hunting and usually left wing friends. My personal experience has been positive when I frame my replies around the following guidelines.

1) Hunters provide a service to all wildlife by helping to manage the carrying capacity of a specific unit, therefore enhancing the habitat for other animals and plants.
    2) Hunting is heavily regulated to ensure a safe and legal harvest
    3) The animals we take are humanely killed AND they are the ultimate FREE RANGE, GRASS FED, ORGANIC meat possible. The animal "Had a good life." That part always gets em!

I find many are at a loss when #3 comes up because they are spending big $$$ to buy the same meat at Whole Foods because the animal was raised humanely and it's preservative/hormone free.

Just my .02 worth.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Mark For This Useful Post:

Eric Bailey (07-03-2013)

Thanks
    I have had a vegetarian at work express his interest in hunting. He said he doesn't eat meat because he doesn't like feed lots and the stuff that comes with slaughterhouses but he would eat something he was able to kill that was free ranging. Mark you are right, the whole free range deal seems to be the new fad. As far as political correctness goes I can't stand it, but we can present our case without the old it's my right and screw you if you don't like it. It is only our RIGHT as long as the public supports it. Once public support goes away all of the laws that restrict and finally end hunting start to take hold.
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    You speak the truth In God We Trust.....rights, regardless of what they are, are being eroded at a lightning fast pace. I pray hunting isn't next.

Gaining support is all in how you frame the argument...er....discussion.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by In God We Trust View Post
    I have had a vegetarian at work express his interest in hunting. He said he doesn't eat meat because he doesn't like feed lots and the stuff that comes with slaughterhouses but he would eat something he was able to kill that was free ranging. Mark you are right, the whole free range deal seems to be the new fad. As far as political correctness goes I can't stand it, but we can present our case without the old it's my right and screw you if you don't like it. It is only our RIGHT as long as the public supports it. Once public support goes away all of the laws that restrict and finally end hunting start to take hold.
    IMO, that sentiment is just wrong because it is the idea that your life and liberty are dependent on the whim of the mob.

This country was founded on the basis of the rule of law - deliberate and logical debate and negotiation between the various parties that results in laws that obtain the desired goal while minimizing the infringment on personal liberty.

This country is rapidly sliding into a dictatorship of the mob - the mob demands something, the mob can change its demands whenever it wants, there is no compromising on the demands of the mob and all must comply with the demands of the mob.

The antis that push this stuff are experts at organizing and mobilizing mobs because they know that it's the only way they can get their ideas turned into laws - we use logic and reason - individuals listen to logic and reason - mobs don't.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

11. The Following User Says Thank You to JMSZ For This Useful Post:

wapiti66 (07-02-2013)

Thanks
    I always keep a civil tongue but do refuse to be politically correct because someone doesn't care for hunting. There thoughts are theirs and my thoughts are mine. I am not breaking the law when I hunt or fish yet many that are against hunting do break the laws imposing there own brand of morality. As mentioned above if the mob can get a grip we will loose in the end. I have always been one to stand my ground in a civil way when it comes to my rights but I wont back down........Mark