Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bow on an ATV?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    It's for the same reason a gun has to be unloaded. They don't want you hunting from a vehicle.

Law seems fine to me.
    Gun does not have to be UNLOADED......just nothing in the chamber in a vehicle. Magazine can have shells in it. Muzzleloader can be loaded to fire EXCEPT no cap or primer can be on the nipple or powder removed from the flashpan. On an OHV the gun must be in a hard or soft, fully enclosed case and in a firearm, nothing can be in the magazine or chamber. The curious thing is that the regs really don't spell out if a muzzleloader is considered unloaded on an ohv if it has powder and bullet in the barrel and nothing in the ignition area.

Just sayin....
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 12 Times in 3 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post
    Gun does not have to be UNLOADED......just nothing in the chamber in a vehicle. Magazine can have shells in it. Muzzleloader can be loaded to fire EXCEPT no cap or primer can be on the nipple or powder removed from the flashpan. On an OHV the gun must be in a hard or soft, fully enclosed case and in a firearm, nothing can be in the magazine or chamber. The curious thing is that the regs really don't spell out if a muzzleloader is considered unloaded on an ohv if it has powder and bullet in the barrel and nothing in the ignition area.

Just sayin....

As cowboy said rifless have to be completely unloaded as in all shells taken out of the magazine and in a enclosed case here in Colorado if you are on a atv... Good rule as far as I am concerned.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Since a compound bow can't really be unstrung, the law should be that a compound bow has to be "In a hard case that is key locked" while it's on an ATV.

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Colorado Cowboy View Post

Just sayin....
    I thought we were talking about an ATV? I know I was.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Clarification on my previous posts. I just re-read the Colorado hunting handbook "It's Against The Law" section, page 13, Number 5 says that all bows (re-curves, longbows and compounds) only have to be fully enclosed in a hard or soft case while on an OHV. So a re-curve or longbow doesn't have to be unstrung but they do need to be fully cased. My bad!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I thought we were talking about an ATV? I know I was.
    The only reason I brought it up is that Colorado law on this subject can sometimes be a bit confusing. Some big differences exist between atv & vehicle and I still can't figure out why this is necessary. I'm still a bit confused about the muzzleloader difference, as it seems to avoid it completely.
    Colorado Cowboy
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's hard to unload a muzzleloader completely. You wouldn't expect a hunter to do it everytime he drove his ATV.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It's hard to unload a muzzleloader completely. You wouldn't expect a hunter to do it everytime he drove his ATV.
    I agree with you 100%, but in the atv regs it avoids it completely. Says nothing about muzzleloaders.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Aldous Huxley

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    ML hunters don't use ATV's. We have boots.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 11 Times in 3 Posts
    ML hunters don't use ATV's. We have boots.
    Actually, I consider myself more of a muzzleloader hunter than an archery hunter. Although I do both. Use the ATV at both too when it makes sense.