Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Since my coyote hunting is low volume, even on a good day, I plan to pick a good load for deer and use that pretty much for everything. With that I don't expect much pelt damage.

I don't foresee using it on a high volume type of shoot like prairie dogs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    Of the guns you mentioned I would have to recommend the Savage. I got a plain Jane 111 package gun a couple of years ago and it will shoot very well with everything I have tried. I have a hand load featuring the Nosler 115 grain Ballistic tip that will shoot into .5-.8 moa 5 shot groups out to 550 yards. My best friend and hunting buddy has a Tikka that will shoot nearly as well but is much more picky about ammo. The last new Remington I bought (7MM/08 SPS) was simply a junker, it had corrosion from bluing salts creeping out of the barrel receiver joint and refused to shoot anything into less than 4" at 100 yards. I have had several Savage rifles and never had a bad shooter in the bunch. There are nicer looking rifles IMHO but looks don't make them shoot any better.

Bob

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    I have a Remington 700 in .270 made in the 60's I think. It shoots good and I have never had a problem with it. I put a Leupold VXII scope on it nearly 20 years ago when it was given to me. Somehow the scope was dead on at 100 yards out of the box and I have never even had the caps off the adjustments! before that 1 of my cousins loaned me a Remington 700 in .270 and I had it go off once when I touched the safety while it was on safe. IDK if it was just a fluke thing or what but it made me a bit leery of the 700 and is alot of why I bought the model 70 Winchester .270 I use now (I will use any reason to buy another gun!). I am a big fan of the hammer block safeties like the model 70 Winchester has. I think they are alot safer and more reliable. I really like the controlled round feed too although I have never had a problem with any of my guns that are not CRF. The only problem I have ever had with a model 70 Win is sometines my .243 will not grab the first round if I load 5 in the mag. The 5th bullet fits pretty tight but if I only put 4 in it will work perfectly every time.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 30 Times in 3 Posts
    http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/m...79966/redirect

Sticking w/ the .308 parent case. (Mine likes the 140gr ABs)
    Last edited by packmule; 07-07-2013 at 10:15 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    6fan id go with the Remington 700 in 243, I am a reloading nut but buy the federal 100 grain power points in the grey and blue box for my Remington 700 243 , it simply shoots to tight of groups with that load to mess with cooking up a load, I love that gun it shoots good and never lets me down. also if you decide to top it with leupold glass you will have a rock solid dependable affordable rig that you simply cant go wrong with.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks again for the suggestions guys. Right now I'm leaning towards a .243, but I'll see whats out there.

From the sound of things, I stand a better chance of getting a good shooter out of the box with a Savage or Tikka than a Remington. And that the Savage would be cheaper to have worked on - rebarreled say - if I choose/need to down the road.

Again I'll see what the local shops have.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    If it was me I would go with the .243 as well. I got 700 SPS SS in .243 for Fathers Day last year (yes I know I'm spoiled) and it is quickly becoming my favorite rifle. I was able to put down about 12 coyotes and a blacktail with it last season.