Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Cool Unit 30 Pine Valley Mule deer

I have two points in Utah for mule deer and I'm pretty sure I'll draw this tag next year if I apply. I have heard from a guy who hunts the area in muzzle loader season that it is a waste of time to hunt the rifle season in this unit because there is so many people. I'm just curious if this is actually true or if it can still be a decent hunt, and if its possible to avoid the crowds and find a decent buck. I can always apply for an archery tag if needed.
    thanks

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You can always get away from the people. The question is will there be deer there. My wife and I only went out twice last season but we didnt see anyone in the areas we hiked to. We didnt see deer either so maybe they all knew something I didnt. We did see a lot of sign and we had an early snow so they must have just moved out. The way I see it is that I always see nice deer in the archery season so they are hiding someplace people are not hunting or they wouldnt be getting big. That inspires me to keep looking for those hiding places.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 22 Times in 10 Posts
    IMO the muzzleloader season is generally better then rifle just because of when it is and there are less tags. Archery might be good too but I have never hunted it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks for the replies guys, i guess i have to just figure out what i want to do. sounds like archery is a good bet

Thanks
    Congratulations

Migration

The unit can be difficult to hunt on the rifle. The deer migrate like crazy in October so u never seem to find the same deer. There are many hunters on the weekends but it thins out pretty well on the weekdays. It's a difficult hunt since they are spread out in groups. I have seen 300 deer in a day and not a single one in three days in that unit and I've only hunted it the past 3 yrs. The first yr I tagged a 160 class the first day and was mad since I stuck around camping and saw 2 others that were 170-175 class. Next yr I only saw a ton of forkies and one 3x4 I let walk in 6 days. Last year I saw 3 good 160-170 class deer and couldn't never get closer than 500 yards. That's why my new7mmstw with a night force is found my house. Next yr I'm getting a big one. Pray for snow and cold temps in the higher country and they seem to show up migrating. I keep thinkin of tryin muzzy and archer but timelines have not worked for my schedule. Maybe dedicated hunter tag next yr.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Theist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really appreciatte the feedback. I actually put in for the archery tag because rifle season can be a zoo and the deer are erratic. Im not sure how good of a chance i have of drawing the tag but im sure its better odds than drawing a rifle tag. If i end up drawing a tag i will definitely check back in. Thanks again for all the info, just a waiting game now