Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Help me choose a rifle scope

Well I bought the gun, a Browning X-Bolt 270WSM. Now it is time to buy a scope. My other 2 rifles have a 20 year old 3-9 compact Leupold and a 3-9 Nikon BDC so I've never owned a good scope. I am down to 3 scopes to buy: Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40, Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44, or the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 SF MC. The Vortex is $500 and the other 2 are $600ish. Does anyone know what the SF stands for in the Zeiss scope? What would you pick?
    :

Thanks
    All 3 good scopes. BB should chime in here soon and tell you all you want to know about the 3. For the money I would go with the Vortex.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalhunter View Post
    Well I bought the gun, a Browning X-Bolt 270WSM. Now it is time to buy a scope. My other 2 rifles have a 20 year old 3-9 compact Leupold and a 3-9 Nikon BDC so I've never owned a good scope. I am down to 3 scopes to buy: Leupold VX-3 4.5-14x40, Vortex Viper HS 4-16x44, or the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 SF MC. The Vortex is $500 and the other 2 are $600ish. Does anyone know what the SF stands for in the Zeiss scope? What would you pick?
    :
    I have the leupold 4.5 x 14 x 40 on my .284 you can't go wrong

Thanks
    the Leupold FOV tunnels badly at lower powers and has variable eye relief, but otherwise is a very nice scope.

The SF stands for "Side Focus" and actually means it has a parallax adjustment turret. The Zeiss is the best scope in this bunch optically.

The Vortex is an excellent overall scope, which as very little tunneling and ample, constant eye relief. It also has the best dials, best BDC reticle, and best warranty out of these options.

BKC is right, you really can't go wrong with these choices, but I would say the Zeiss for $600 is tough to pass, if the reticle is to your liking. If you want a BDC though, go for the Vortex.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

norcalhunter (04-08-2013)

Thanks
    Originally I was going to buy a Vortex but the local optics dealer was pushing the Leupold saying "others have tried Vortex but end up going back to Leupold". Then I found a good price on the Zeiss but I'm not sure about the side focus or the zplex reticle. I was looking to get a BDC. I think any of these will be heads above what I am use to.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by norcalhunter View Post
    Originally I was going to buy a Vortex but the local optics dealer was pushing the Leupold saying "others have tried Vortex but end up going back to Leupold". Then I found a good price on the Zeiss but I'm not sure about the side focus or the zplex reticle. I was looking to get a BDC. I think any of these will be heads above what I am use to.
    Well, you can follow the advise of your dealer if you want. However, his customers may do just that because he "pushes" Leupold. I was just giving my opinion as someone that has owned many (20 maybe) Leupold riflescopes (still have a couple), and currently I own 4 Vortex Riflescopes. I also have a Swarovski, a Nikon, and formerly owned several other quality brands including Sightron, Zeiss, and SWFA.

Like I said, the Leupy is a solid scope, but I prefer the other two. That is my opinion. Some share it, others disagree.

The Vortex Dead Hold BDC is really nice, and subtended in MOA, so calculating drops is easy. I used a Vortex BDC equipped scope on the Velvet Mulie I posted about last year.
    Last edited by Bitterroot Bulls; 04-08-2013 at 09:39 PM.

Thanks
    I'm not the expert that Bitterroot is but I vote for the Zeiss. I have a couple of them, one Vortex and several Leupolds. All are solid choices however.

Thanks
    I'm leaning toward the Vortex because it is affordable and I may upgrade my other scopes to Vortex. I can afford the Zeiss Conquest until they are gone then I probably wouldn't consider Zeiss because of the price. BB-your opinion and others is what I am looking for, hunters in the field have a better idea of what works and what doesn't.

Thanks
    I went with the Vortex on a Browning Xbolt 30-06 and really, really like it. Although I haven't killed any big game with it yet as I've drawn only muzzleloader hunts since, it performs great on targets and smaller game. Thanks for the recomendation BB!

Thanks
    I ordered the Zeiss. It seemed brighter and clearer than the other 2 for that price range. Thanks everyone for all the input.