Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

vortex spotting scope

I have a quick question. My brother are heading out west for our first time this fall. We are in the process of purchasing a spotting scope. I have been doing a lot of research and testing out spotting scopes from the cheapest to the most expensive. We want to get a spotting with a good quality glass that will last us. The trick is that we are both in college so we are on sort of a budget and the vortex viper hd 15-45 ×65 angled scopes from reading about them seem to be high quality for a more reasonable price. I have been trying to find a place to test one out but no one in the state of iowa seems to carry any vortex viper spotting scopes. I would like to know if this spotting scope would be a good choice for us to buy, or what insight you guys have on them?
    "The Art of Drawing"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For the price the viper is a great bang for your buck. I have one and have never been disappointed with the quality. If you two plan to split the weight. Ex. He carries tripod, you carry spotter. You may want to jump up to the bigger model. A bit more magnification and a few more minutes of glassing time is always helpful.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The Viper HDs are very nice for the money, and backed up by the best warranty in the business.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If it were me I would get the new Razor 50mm Spotter instead of the Vortex Viper. The glass is much better in the Razor and it is much more compact and lighter for packing. I have looked through both and IMO the Razor for basically the same price would be my choice.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Unless you can get your hands on a 50 and spend a few hours behind it I would personally hold off. There are a few advantages to the 50 class. But also a few disadvantages. I personally could never get accustom to the size/relief of the smaller spotters. Its just like taking apart a 10x50 bino and using it as a spotter (relatively speaking) I believe they are ideal for the minimalist style backpack hunter. But if you also intend on glassing fields in Iowa and doing some vehicle hunting I would personally stick toward the 65-80/85 class. The razor 50's are sweet pieces but I always suggest trying one before buying to see if its something your eye will like. For a first time spotter purchase most are happy with the 65 or larger.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good choice I'd Go for it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also if you get a chance. Check your pm's

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the information, it is exactly what I needed. I have been debating on getting the higher magnification but the reason I kind of been holding off was the fact that they do weigh more and are little bulkier. I just don't really know if the extra magnification and weight is that big of a deal in the long run? I do plan on packing in a ways and I do not want to be shooting myself in the foot by buying the bigger model but in contrary I do not want to be shooting myself in the foot by not having a big enough magnification. Being from Iowa I am only used to glassing from my house or from a truck, I am new to glassing for animals from long distances and carrying it in a long ways . Also I have heard great things about the razor I just really wish I could get my hands on some and take a look through them.
    "The Art of Drawing"

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just bought the razor hd in 16x48x65 its pretty much perfect in my opinion, the 50 seemed to small and the 85 seemed to big . The 85 was still inside my price range but I couldn't tell enough difference in the power and the glass to spend the extra money and pack the extra weight in my bag..

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 3 Posts
    I have never used the vortex 50mm but I had a Leupold 50mm and it really couldnt do antyhing my Swarovski 10x42 couldnt do and it was terrible in low light. I would find myself putting it down and picking up my Swarovski's without even thinking about it. I packed it on 1 hunt then put it back in the box and returned it to cabelas and bought a new door for my house with the refund.