Thread: Elk area 82

Hybrid View

Thanks

Elk area 82

First off I'd like to say that I'm just asking for general opinions, not specific areas or ideas. After doing some looking around I have settled on area 82 as a unit I'd like to take my dad to for his 50th birthday present. This would be in 2015 so we will have time to accumulate a couple points. He is in fairly good shape, and has always wanted to hunt out of state (Oregon). Do you guy think him getting a average 6x6 is an attainable goal if I was able to dedicate five days scouting each year until then and a full ten days of hunting? I have never stepped foot in the unit, but plan to go as soon as I can. Are there any things I should be concerned about in this unit like too much hunting pressure, wolves etc? Btw we do not have horses, and want to do a DIY hunt. Thank you very much to anyone who takes the time to respond.

Thanks
    Hello bighorn574, If you and your father are looking at doing a DIY hunt. I would look to another unit besides 82. Area 82 is almost completely wilderness and in wyoming you need to have a guide to hunt wilderness if you are a non-resident. There are good units all over northwest wyoming that offer the chance at a average 6x6 and is not in the wilderness. Let me know if I can help you any further.