Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I have a Marmot Helium 15* bag (2lb2oz) and an Exped synmat 7 (15oz.) and I sleep as good or bettewr than at home. When it's not that cold, I use it like a blanket.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    I just bought a new one from Cabelas, their brand. I prefer rectangular and over sized so I can turn over inside the bag. Since I don't use it for backpacking, weight was not a factor. Rated to -10 and has a canvas/cotton outershell and an oversize zipper. I have a similar bag from Coleman that I bought 45 years ago that finally wore out. Havn't used the new one yet, but will in September.
    Colorado Cowboy
    Cowboy Action Shooter; Endowment Life Member-NRA
    The Original Rocket Scientist-Retired
    "My Father always considered a walk in the mountains as the equivalent of church going."
    Aldous Huxley

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Root View Post
    I do like the bag. It's a bit snug fit but lightweight. The only thing it lacks is not being efficient when wet. I finally upgraded from my Slumberjack qualafill bag that I've had since the 80's. That bag kept me very warm but it was so much heavier.
    After reading around on bags a little, I'm now curious as to whether there is any advantage to down vs synthetic and vice versa or whether it is comes down to personal.

The coldest rated bags (as low as -45 degrees F for arctic expeditions) do all seem to use down as a fill, so there does appear to be some advantage to it, but for bags in the -10 to +40ish degree range, the cost and weight seem to be about even for down and synthetic fills.

Has anybody here used both types of bags recently (modern down bag and modern synthetic-filled bag) in similar conditions and if so, was there any noticeable difference?
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    From what I understand the synthetic bags are more efficient when they are damp. The down bags semi collapse when they get damp and loose some insulation value. Many of the new down bags have a membrane that helps with the moisture problems. Down will also keep you warmer in most cases unless it gets wet. The down are also supposed to last longer and are lighter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 17 Times in 3 Posts
    I also always store my down bags in a closet on a hanger. They should not be stored in their stuff sacks.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used Marmot hydrogen 30 degree bag for last couple of years, 14oz if i remember right. Its good to me to about 25. Last year temps dropped down to 15-20. I used my cabelas XPG bivy and was good with that.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Marmot helium here in the long version. 15 degree bag. I don't like being cold at night. For september high country it is plenty warm. Go as light as you can afford to go in the 15 to 20 degree range if you're a backpack hunter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Cost and weight comparison of down and synthetic fill are not the same when you compare higher quality down. 750 fill and higher. Down of this grade will be lighter and more expensive. I would buy an 850 or higher fill bag if u want to go the down route and weight is a priority.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Anyone using the Sierra Designs Zissou 12. I am thinking about picking one of these up before the season.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    The North Face« Alpenglow Series Blue Kazoo, 600+ Eastern European goose down, 15 degree, 2lbs 11 ounces mummy style sleeping bag. I went with the the tall to give me extra leg room since I'm only 5'10" 190lbs and its 84" long (7ft). Surprisingly, I am able to toss and turn like I need to just fine. I have used it primarily on base camp situations, but will use it this year in the back country with my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2 tent. One thing to consider getting to go along with the sleeping bag is a good quality sleeping pad. This will help you get off the ground which allows you to keep heat better. I went with a Big Agnes is this as well.