Hybrid View

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Food and Bear Bags

I was reading some stuff on Backpacking Light ( cakpackinglight.com ) and found a couple of things:

Packit Gourmet ( packitgourment.com ) does freeze-dried and wet shelf-stable food. Several of their items were highly regarded on the BPL website, including gumbo, bangers and mash and chili.

Ursack - ( ursack.com )Bear-proof bag, it's approved for some areas, not in others, but it's legal in the Inyo National Forest. Basically, it's a bag that's a bear canister.

Add - Calorieking ( calorieking.com ) - lists calories and nutrition facts for foods - it's searchable, so you can look for specific brands, etc
    Last edited by JMSZ; 07-09-2013 at 01:36 PM.
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

2. The Following User Says Thank You to JMSZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like the lightweight of the Ursack bags, 7.3 oz. and 1. lb 2.1 oz. for the Hybrid option from what I read but from what I was reading in most locations here in CA they are not approved in a lot of areas still. It's kind of funny and a bit misleading seeing the picture of Half Dome in Ursack YouTube video on their site because to my knowledge they are not an approved option in Yosemite as last I looked.

I think it's because the bears seem to try and tear the bag off the tree or chew off what it's tied to and carry it off. The food hanging method in a lot of places seems to be going away as an option here more and more too. Many wilderness areas I used to backpack in CA seem to be going towards bearproof food containers.

I use a Bearvault solo container, 2 lbs. 1 oz. which is lighter than the Counter assault Bear Keg I have too. When they require me to take one in, that's what I use. When they don't, the Ursack from what I've heard works if used right but you can end up with some crushed food. At 7.3 oz for the bag only the weight is hard to beat.
    Last edited by Kevin Root; 07-09-2013 at 01:35 PM.