Going on my first elk hunt this coming September near Pagosa Springs in SW Colorado with a couple buddies. Having family that live in the Pagosa area, I'm hoping to make the most out of my experience and establish a solid base to return to and build upon for future hunts. As a diehard archer, I spend most of my deer seasons in East Texas hunting from 20-25' tree stands in big timber, so I'm looking forward to the challenge of this Elk hunt. A bull elk with my bow is #1 on my bucket list.

Does anyone have any insight to offer on the Blanco Basin area of the San Juan National Forest in regards to Elk or even Muleys for that matter? I grew up visiting family every year on ski trips/summer camping trips in the area and we always seemed to see elk and deer scattered through the meadows along the highways.

I'm interested to hear your opinions on how the wildfire situation will affect the elk herds as it gets closer to the season.

Thanks in advance for any advice/insight and goods luck with your upcoming seasons

Clint