Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by hardstalk View Post
    You missed him already
    My money (which isnt much these days) is on BB will recommend Vortex

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 57 Times in 8 Posts
    Buy Vortex today, shop around and get yourself a smoking deal. Save up for Swarovski's and in a few years sell the Vortex on Ebay (along with the lifetime warranty) and buy the Swarovskis. It will probably cost you less than $25 or $30 a year to own the Vortex if you hold on to them for 5 years.
    Grand Slam #1005 + 2: Dall (1986 Yukon), Fannin/Stone (1987 Yukon), Bighorn (1988 Colorado Unit S-26), Stone (1995 British Columbia), Desert (2001 Nevada Unit 161), Bighorn (2009 Wyoming Unit 5)

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    Thanks for the intro guys!

Buying the best you can afford is great advice, but you already told us you can afford $400. As predicted, I really like the Vortex Talons for $400. I am with UH that warranty plays a big role here. Although I wouldn't expect the Talons to go south in 4 years, but if they did I am absolutely confident Vortex would take care of you, and QUICKLY.

I do think the Zeiss Terra is worth a good look, but as good as Zeiss' customer service and warranty is, it isn't as good as Vortex. I would never hesitate to get a used Vortex binocular either, because Vortex takes care of their customers whether they buy used or new.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Right now the Nikon Monarch 5's are either on sale or will be going on sale. Sportsman's Warehouse has them marked down $40. Nikon is putting ED glass in all the Monarch 5's so the "old" model should be getting cleared out. Some places will have them marked down others will not. At the regular sales price the Monarch 5 is seen by many in the optics industry as being the best for the money. If you are looking at spending more money the Monarch 7's are awesome. All the rest that have been talked about are great also, just didn't hear the Monarch being brought up so I thought I would give it a mention.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by packmule View Post
    Could try out a pair of Minox.

Yep, try Minox. I love my 10x52 HG's!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by clacklin009 View Post
    Right now the Nikon Monarch 5's are either on sale or will be going on sale. Sportsman's Warehouse has them marked down $40. Nikon is putting ED glass in all the Monarch 5's so the "old" model should be getting cleared out. Some places will have them marked down others will not. At the regular sales price the Monarch 5 is seen by many in the optics industry as being the best for the money. If you are looking at spending more money the Monarch 7's are awesome. All the rest that have been talked about are great also, just didn't hear the Monarch being brought up so I thought I would give it a mention.
    I have a pair of Nikon Monarch X's and have no complaints so far. They're clear & bright & Cabela's had them on sale, just over $400

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I would say if what you can afford is $400 right now I would either get the Talons or take out a loan for another $200 and get the Viper HD. They are very nice glass for the price.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Take a look at Hawke Frontier with the ED glass.I bought a pair as nock around truck binos and find my Swarovski Slc
    staying home a lot.If I drive off and leave them on a rock it's
    not the end of the world.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    If you have a Scheels Sport anywhere near you check out the Paragon and or the Paragon HD. They have, 8x42, and 10x42. Check em out at scheelssports.com, they are very clear and have a warranty that's unbelievable

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Ok. Went to sportsmans today and unknown you can't really tell by looking at things in a building. But one little thing I noticed was with the zeiss terra was as I was using the dial to focus it seemed as if there was a smaller place for a clear focus in the adjustment. Meaning the others I could move the adjustment a little bit and still have focus but with the terra if I wasn't spot on it got blurry quick.

How could or would that translate to real world? I am not a binocular snob by any means. I want to like the zeiss because o their price point and with the basspro sale I can get some for about 329. But what is their warranty

Looking at the vortex talons I am pretty sure they are the same as the zen ray as the look so much alike. Zen ray are less $$ but will they be there in 5 years I I need warranty?

Finally will the vipers be worth the difference in$$.