Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

S.d. Unit h2 any elk tag

This is my first post on here and was wondering if anyone on here drew a S.D. UNIT H2 BULL Tag or has anyone in the past had the tag after 13 yrs I drew one looks like it will be a solo hunt for me I have some good info just looking to see if anybody has some to share I would share some to looks like the best info is to get out in the back country a few miles my unit is Hill City west to Wyoming South boarder is Hwy 16 and North to Spearfish its a big unit with lots of public any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    Havent been in that part of SD much but sounds like an awesome hunt in some beautiful country! good luck! 36

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I am from NE Wyoming. We hunt the WY side of your unit all the time. I would go up and check out the summit ridge area. Lots and lots of big bulls there. There is a guzzler water hole off boles canyon road. Its in SD and we have put trail cams there to see whats in the area. Some monster bulls came in to drink. Lots of water guzzlers up there that always have elk coming in. Six mile road area will have lots of elk. Same basic area as summit ridge.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to birdhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I've seen bulls around Bear Mountain Look Out north of Custer durring deer season. Several years ago there was a burn and the country is pretty open but is coming back. Plenty of elk sign when were out there. I havent put in for my 15 years or slipped a $100 in my envelope LOL so i havent gotten my tag yet. We did a late season muzzelloader hunt and bumped a huge herd on Newton Fork Road but that was the first time i had ever seen them up there. Along Ditch Creek RD brings you up to the area. Hope this helps.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to howler243 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    WOW! Thank you guys I will check these areas out next week on my first scouting trip and will let you know what I find.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    You may want to also check out your NW most boundary. Moskee area in Wyoming is a very good trophy unit and the elk always cross over into SD. This would be the tinton road area in and around trailshead on hwy 85 just south of spearfish or north of Newcastle, wy. I would say this area would be your best bet for a really big trophy bull. A lot of people from WY hunt area 1 and I would say the bulls range from 330 to 360 on average with 380+ as a big bull.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to birdhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I really appreciate the info Birdhunter I will report back with my findings going out the 24th - 28th this month and 2 more times in August.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Just got back from my first scouting trip seen some good sign I found the water holes Birdhunter spoke of I traveled the Thompson Kinney Divide and walked out to a ridge and glassed 4 cows I have another trip planned the weekend of August 16th I'm going to get my trail cams out also checked out the bear mountain area which looked promising the Lady in the look out tower was very helpful aswell. I'm also going to check up north by the Wyoming border on my next trip I will report back with what I've found hopefully have some pics to share at the of August.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I just did some scouting myself this last weekend. Way more water this year than last year. There are wallows everywhere!!! Drove to my campsite and set up some trail cams around the area. Rode the atv with the wife and on the way back to the campsite saw about 70 head of elk 100 yards away from camp. Can't wait to go back up to set up camp in 2 weeks and see what is on the cameras. Good luck sdarcher.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks birdhunter I'm heading out the night of the 15th I've another lead I need to check out just west a little ways of Summit Ridge an older gent told me he had my tag 2 years ago and found a honey hole had a 40 yrd shot and didn't take it cuz he couldn't make the shot nut seen elk every day.