Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Colapsible day pack to fit in larger pack

I pack in all my gear several miles and camp when I go elk hunting. I am looking for suggestions for a daypack that I can use to hunt with that will fit in my larger 5500 size pack, or can be strapped to the back. I bought a cheep one the last time I went and it proved to be of low quality. Any suggestions for a day pack like this?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    It depends on how large you want. But the kifaru e&e is a good choice.

Kuiu also has the new 1850. Given you want to drop coin on the suspension and frame setup.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to hardstalk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by wiemken1 View Post
    I pack in all my gear several miles and camp when I go elk hunting. I am looking for suggestions for a daypack that I can use to hunt with that will fit in my larger 5500 size pack, or can be strapped to the back. I bought a cheep one the last time I went and it proved to be of low quality. Any suggestions for a day pack like this?
    Sierra Trading post has some on sale if you're looking to not drop a lot of money for one.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/s~b...0gender%3bmen/
    Ah, the nostalgic aroma of a yak dung stove brewing up some tea full of herbs best left untranslated.
    From the Zen Backpacking Site

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JMSZ For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I bought a Cabelas All Day Transporter Fanny pack and I love it. It holds plenty of stuff and it has straps that make it pretty much like a pack. I like it more then a pack because most of the weight is put on my hips and not my shoulders. After lugging a rifle around all day my shoulders already hurt.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jarheadhunter For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Thanks for the info. I am looking for one in the 1800 to 2200 cu in size. I am planning on taking a days worth of food along with all of my gear in this pack. In the area where I had previously elk hunted in Colorado, I would hike in 6-7 miles with a much larger pack and camp at a open park where there is a spring to get water. From there I would hike up just a few miles daily to where the elk hang out. I am also considering a bivy sack just in case I decided to stay up higher on the mountain one night. So with all this said, I want a small enough pack to stay very mobile, but enough to carry quite a bit of gear.

JMSZ- Thanks for the website, some of those packs seem pretty reasonably prices.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also that KUIU pack looks pretty sweet. I am looking into those too. Thanks for the info.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Would an Eberlestock like the J34 be large enough to use in place of your 5500 pack with a spike or superspike duffel? It would collapse down to 2300 cu in for daypack use and also work to pack meat down the mountain. Not sure how much weight you pack, I have carried 75lbs in mine for a few miles fairly comfortable. I could see staying with a frame pack and getting an ultralight day pack like the new Badlands that are under 2lbs if you pack to much weight in.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    A great lightweight daypack to fit inside or strap on the outside of your backpacking pack would be the Badlands Diablo pack. 3lbs, 1900 cu in. it has a great lightweight frame and the highly breathable hypervent system.
    LINTON OUTDOORS
    Serious Gear for the Serious Sportsman
    www.lintonoutdoors.com

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Not sure how much you're looking to carry but I've used the REI Flash 18 in the past and swear by it. It works great as a stuff sack for all my clothes while in my bigger Osprey Atmos 50L, which I used last year on my 3-4 day trips. Or it could simply be balled up to the size of a baseball. The Flash 18 weighs 3/4 of a pound, comes in several colors(including orange if needed), holds a 3L hydration bladder comfortably(which I pull out of my Osprey once at base camp), an extra layer or two of clothing, some food, and some of the essentials: headlamp, knife, first aid kit, maps, etc... It also does alright at carrying a small spotting scope inside and a tripod strapped to the outside, as there are two full strips of daisy chain on the back panel.
    It might be worth taking a look at if you're looking for something simple. You obviously won't be packing your animal out in it should you harvest, so keep that in mind when straying too far from camp.
    http://www.rei.com/product/827110/rei-flash-18-pack