Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I might agree if he asked for just elk, but he wants one gun for elk to antelope. He's really asking for a compromise gun, and I feel the .270 fits that perfect.

Hopefully, he won't really need to take those 700 yd shots.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    7mag and 300wm covers all and can make those long shots if that's what you're into.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't plan on shooting anything at 700 yard but it's about having the ability and the confidence in the rifle that you have on your back. I hope that I only have to shoot animals out to 300 yards. I take whitetail at this distance with my 22-250 so I know it's all about shot placement. Knowing this if a true monster steps out at 700 yards that I can't get closer to I want a rifle in my hand that I can take him home with.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkes11 View Post
    Knowing this if a true monster steps out at 700 yards that I can't get closer to I want a rifle in my hand that I can take him home with.
    Knowing you have a capable rifle in your hands plays a much smaller part in a successful 700 yard shot than knowing the rifle is in capable hands.

Edit: I can see the beginning of the end to this thread...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Bitterroot Bulls For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Bitterroot Bulls View Post
    Edit: I can see the beginning of the end to this thread...
    I was thinking end it now before it even gets to that point. There is enough information all ready given to help the original poster with question. My two cents, .270WSM and forget about it!

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawkes11 View Post
    I don't plan on shooting anything at 700 yard but it's about having the ability and the confidence in the rifle that you have on your back. I hope that I only have to shoot animals out to 300 yards. I take whitetail at this distance with my 22-250 so I know it's all about shot placement. Knowing this if a true monster steps out at 700 yards that I can't get closer to I want a rifle in my hand that I can take him home with.

Getting a 700yd shot on antelope is pretty normal. Mulies too. In the link I posted one guy took an elk at 865 yds with a .270, so it's safe to say it will work fine at 700 yds. The problem with the bigger magnums is it's going to tear up the smaller animals you want to hunt. It's your choice though.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Elkoholic307 View Post
    This thread isn't about whether or not a 270 will kill an elk. It's titled, "Best All Around Gun" and the OP wants enough punch to kill elk out to 700 yards. If you seriously think the 270 Win is it, then by all means keep suggesting it. But, I still couldn't disagree more. There are so many better options out there, it would be silly to settle on the 270 Win when that is your goal.
    +1. Good point Elkoholic. Absolutely there are much better rigs for 700 yd shots at big heavy game. Goals are what drive us to continue improving as marksmen and hunters. As long as the person setting these goals has gone to a 1,000 yd range and taken a good hard look at what 700 yards is. Cut a piece of cardboard the size of elk vitals. Then start learning what kind of drop and drift it takes to hit that 16 or 18" square. Having a mountain weight rig chambered in the caliber for that task isn;t going to be a sure thing in anyone's hands. The "just in case" rifle isn't going to ideal for a high percentage shot,in field conditions,at 700 yds. A dedicated long range rig is going to be heavy. You are going to know your drift and drop figures. If you don't know about wind flags,you should pick up a set. There are folks out there that don't believe the 338 Edge is effected by wind. Lots of things working against even seasoned marksmen beyond 400 yards,with toting weight rifles. Along the lines of the best all around gun this it in a nut shell. In the rifle that you want to carry. Up hill and down. Loaded pack and all. You have to be able to put your shots in that 18" square under field conditions. If you can do it with an 8.5 lb 340 Weatherby, 300 Ultra,338 Ultra or 338 Edge then that is the rig to run with. If you don't like the recoil in this configuration you have 2 choices. More weight or a milder round. At what yardage you loose the vital accuracy/kenetic energy becomes your practical hunting range for taking game. I'm not trying to be a smart a-hole,but these are the things folks tend to forget when taking a desperation poke at a critter once every 5 years. I don't care to carry around the scope and rifle necessary to close the deal should one walk out at 700. No offense intended in any way. Just my 2 cents.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    Getting a 700yd shot on antelope is pretty normal. Mulies too. In the link I posted one guy took an elk at 865 yds with a .270, so it's safe to say it will work fine at 700 yds. The problem with the bigger magnums is it's going to tear up the smaller animals you want to hunt. It's your choice though.

I've shot a ton of our "rabbit-size" deer with a 300wm bc that's been my choice of rifle since I was 12; it really doesn't tear them up any worse than a 270. I see worse out of 22-250-like & 257Roy, the soft tissue just can't tolerate that kind of speed.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I'm sorry but 700 or really 400 yard shots aren't "hunting", that's just "killing". I have a Ruger m77r 30 06 with a plain old 2x7 scope. 34 years it hasn't let me down. Several elk and I've lost count of the deer. I did replace the stock with a Bell&Carlson synthetic stock about 30 years ago.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Then I should return the hunting licenses I bought back to Game & Fish and ask for killing licenses instead.

Let's try and stay on topic and leave personal views and ethics out of this thread for once.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13