Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I can't find the need for the 30-378. I looked at it a long time ago but met a shooter coming out of the gun shop. I ask how the 30-378 was working? He showed me hiss new gun, it was a 257 wby, said the 30-378 was to big for him and he shoots a lot and weighs about 300 young pounds. I dropped the idea o shooting a 30-378. Still ok with 7rm but will look at the 280AI. BTW, I don't care what you shoot. The post was about best one gun. If its good enough for women and kids to hunt elk with, why not men?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Okay, I just read the whole thread and there are a bunch of good responses. My recommendation would for the non handloader be either a .270 Winchester, .30/06 or the aforementioned 7MM RM, take your pick. Since you are a handloader I would add the .264 Winchester to the list, factory ammo can be hit or miss in my experience. The rifle for me would be a Savage 110 or a Stevens 200 and I would use the rest of the budget on a good optic and mounts.
    Bob
    Last edited by BobT; 07-13-2013 at 06:57 AM.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    IMHO the Ruger M77 30.06 is without a doubt the hands down go to rifle. More than accurate enough, bullet proof, fairly inexpensive and not bad to look at. Ammo is available at any mom and pop store anywhere. Just my two bits worth!
    Last edited by Jerry; 07-13-2013 at 02:25 PM.
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Jerry For This Useful Post:

Banned
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    I don't think finding ammo is important for a hunter. With all the planning that goes into a hunt. Getting ammo before the hunt should be at the top of the list.

With that said. It's rare to find 06 ammo without .270 right next to it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Hunter View Post
    It's rare to find 06 ammo without .270 right next to it.
    And the 7 Mag ammo right on the other side.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Never mentioned anything about finding ammo, just it's ready availability!
    NRA Life Member OHA Life Member
    Hunter for Life

Thanks
    Congratulations
    For those of you that keep bringing up the 270 Win, read his first post again. He said he wanted to kill elk out to 700 yards. You can't recommend it to everyone just because Jack O'Connor used it. That goes for the 30.06 as well.
    Arise... Kill, Eat! - Acts 10:13

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I will chime in and say the 7mm rem is probably the best common commercially produced round

I personally regret selling my 270 wsm. I feel it can do pretty much anything the 7 mag can and I didn't seem to experience the recoil of the 7 mag. And now with the Berger and nosler long range style bullets it has to be a viable option as would the 270 wby

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 5 Times in 5 Posts
    There are alot of good all around calibers. There is no 1 caliber that is perfect for every situation but there are many that will get the job done. IMO it comes down to personal preference and what you plan to hunt and how. The .270 Win serves me well and I did not pick it just because Jack O'Connor used it. lol. I also have no desire to shoot any animal over 400 yards.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Well put Musket Man. It all comes down to individual needs. 400yds is about it for me as well. Oh I've been known to "go long" in the past,but I'm not as into that sort of thing as I was 25 years ago. The big hammers are being rotated out of the safe as well. As I get older,recoil is more noticeable. A session with the 300 Ultra or the T3 338 leaves me with a 3 day hangover and stiff neck. Good old Arthur Itis is making himself known to me. So,why punish myself and shorten my good years afield? I could very easily settle down with a good 270 Win. I've always been a fan of the round. My daughter is currently using my wife"s old 270 to take her venison every year. I lean a little more toward the 30/06 myself. Same basic list of credentials as the 270. The 06 isn't perfect for every circumstance either,but inside 400 yds it comes pretty close. As does the 270,280,308,7 Rem Mag, and a host of other proven chamberings. Unless you have a specific quarry that you feel requires a specific round. My thoughts are find the "Rifle" that you want to spend your time afield with. Brand,model,barrel length,weight.Then choose the chambering in that rifle that best fits your needs. If you're determined to have a .30 Slam-a-bam-a-Wow,and it's only offered in a rifle that is too heavy for your taste,and doesn't fit you well,it's a loosing proposition from the word go. Find a rifle that is an extension of your body,that you love to carry and shoot,it doesn't need to be a fire breathing monster to take game at reasonable yardages.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to ThreeTikkas For This Useful Post: