Thread: Elk Rut?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts

Elk Rut?

I was curious on some input regarding this years Elk rut (2013) and when might be the ideal time to bow hunt? I've been elk hunting for just a few years now but I'm trying to get a better understanding of how the moon phase and past history might favor one week over another week in September. I understand weather plays a big factor. But I was curious on any helpful tips or suggestions on the moon phase that we have for 2013 and how it may correlate to years past when the moon phase was very similar - what type of results did everyone experience

I'm hunting in Wyoming, public land, in a decent area. Based off last years (2012) moon phase and when I bow hunted we hit it just right (between the 2nd and 3rd week -Sept 12th-22nd). This year, base on what I think might be somewhat accurate from the moon phase chart, the 9th thru the 15th and/or the 25th thru the 30th. I was really hoping to get the Eastmans issue already of when Guy predicted the rut. More for reassurance then anything. I'm limited on time this year unlike last year. So, any input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 18 Times in 3 Posts
    Though I only hunt in Montana I have always seen the best Elk Rut activity within five to ten days around the September 22 date which is approximately the autumnal equinox. For the past twenty years I normally hunt hard and schedule my vacation between Sept 13-29 for that reason. It has always seemed to work out well either a little before September 22 or 23 or a little after. Of course the full moon has some effect on the time of day the Elk are active. This year it will probably be a little more interesting because the full moon is on Sept 19th and probably expect more rut activity at night. Looking back at notes the largest elk I have ever taken has been during these exact conditions. This is just from personal experience. Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 2 Posts
    Hunt the last two weeks of September in just about any state out west and you should hit the rut no matter what year or what the moon phase is.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    ditto on end of sept

I will be in ID last 1.5 weeks of sept as the moon is phasing down