Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Calling mule deer

Scrolling through my Dvr I came across an episode of outlanders where a guy was using a fawn distress call to call muoe deer.

Anyone try this or anyone use it on a regular basis? I would like to try it but what are the particulars to it? Do you just go nout and start ripping away or do you go where you think the deer are and hope? Or is it just a tool you use to get the deer to show them selves?

Thanks
    I have used the fawn bleet a couple times. You can call does in all day but the only time your calling in a buck is if he is rutting and you habe already got his attention possibly using horns to rattle him in. Which works well durring the rut. I have only used it when i spot the buck. They dont charge in like white tail but they will come.

Thanks
    I have accidentally called in mulies in Idaho while whitetail hunting had one come running in and couldn't hardly get him to leave and he was only about 7 or 8 yards away.

Thanks
    those bleet clls are alot of fun to get does in, likecasey said, ive only had bucks come to them during the rut. he hears that noise and he knows there is a doe near by. ive never called in a big buck this way though, just young ones. pretty fun though. if you know there are deer in the area give it a soft blow, if any are close by, alot of times you will start hearing the deer blowing air.

Thanks
    I love to try different things with mule deer during the rut to see what works and what doesn't. Usually if I find a mature buck all by his lonesome and his nose to the ground, a doe bleat with some sort of can call works wonders, most of the time they will come in on a string. Occasionally I have got bucks to come into rattling, most of the time the smaller bucks come in to rattling though. If a buck is with a doe or group of does I have never got them to come to the rattling or doe bleats, they already have what they want. I watched that same episode last year and thought I would give it a try. Every time I saw a buck with does I would give out a fawn in distress call and the does would come running with the bucks hot on their heels. I got busted every time by the does before I could release an arrow but it worked. I say don't ever be afraid to try some sort of calling to see what works.
    Shoot STR8

Thanks
    this is a good thread, mule deer dont get enough attention when it comes to calls and pulling them in. id love to hear more info and stories from other forum members on this topic. i know white tails are the "tree stand" animal but anyone use them on their big eard cousins?

Thanks
    Quick story. Last year opening morning ruby mountains late hunt. I was on a really good buck. Closed the distance about sixty five yards and was in the waiting game. It was snowing pretty good visibility was not the best. I did a quick peek and he caught me peeking so i layed there for a while and heard so.e movement under me and got ready and let a fawn bleet out. What do you know... Horns coming right to me
    . I thought to myself you gotta be kidding. A buck cam up the hill and closed the distance to under twenty yards he was not he buck i wanted .a nice 4x3 but i scouted some dandys so let him go. It was still quite a show. He hung out about five minutes pacing and staring me down. After he left i spotted him heading into another draw and what do you know my big boy is right on his tail!! So close... But so far

Thanks
    Calling works well in Arizona during the January archery hunt. I have found rattling probably works the best but primos makes a grunt call that works in certain situations
    A bad day in the woods is better than a good day at work.
    Shoot the best, Shoot PSE!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ivorytip View Post
    this is a good thread, mule deer dont get enough attention when it comes to calls and pulling them in. id love to hear more info and stories from other forum members on this topic. i know white tails are the "tree stand" animal but anyone use them on their big eard cousins?
    I have killed 3 bucks from tree stands. Two from a 20ft perch over the same water hole, and the other was from a cedar tree, I was only 10ft off the ground on a fence crossing. It works well if you have something they are coming to and you have the patience.
    Shoot STR8

10. The Following User Says Thank You to RUTTIN For This Useful Post:

ivorytip (07-14-2013)

Thanks
    im going to give it a try this fall. thanks ruttin