Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MtnHunter View Post
    Look at Kifaru packs. I bought one before hunting Alaska last year and really like it. With a removable top that can be made into a day pack, the pack has huge capacity, but can be cinched down to be really compact. It is relatively light compared to other packs that have 6000-7000 in. Capacity.
    I would have also recommended the Kifaru Timberline 2, Bikine/Timberline 2, or Bikini/Highcamp, but the wait time on one right now will put him well into hunting season. I think Schnees might have the Stone Glacier in stock, and it is a fine pack as well, and a bit lighter.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the J34 and love it, but haven't tried the packs these other guys are talking about. They might well be better but the J34 works great for me.

I have a Kifaru paratarp and parastove I really like for shelter. I use a GI poncho for a groundsheet

Can't give a great choice for a pad and bag I'm not real happy with what I have. I'd like to try a Kifaru Slickbag. Alaska is known to be wet so if you go down you will want to be sure it stays dry. Might be worth looking at one of the best synthetics but it will be heavier. Maybe a down bag and bivy sack would be better in the floorless shelter, I've thought about that also.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    My tent suggestion is the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 at $370. It is a 2-man tent that with rain fly, poles, stakes, and stuff sack weighs 2 lbs 10 oz In warm weather, just take the rain fly (8 oz) and the footprint that is sold separately (10 oz) = 1 lb 2 oz

I have one and love it. The quality is good and it is super quick and easy to set up and very lightweight.

Like most 2-man tents, at 28 sq. ft. it is really a 1+. The only person who shares it with you should be your wife.

I know you have a pad but to me the pad is more important than the tent, especially since you can just take a rain fly for cover.

I love the REI Stratus insulated air sleeping pad. At 1 lb 9 oz. for the XL size I use there are way lighter and thinner pads out there for sure but I can't sleep comfortably on them.

I'm only a men's size large for clothing but I need more thickness and width in my pad. Maybe its because those of us over 50 have a hard time getting a good night's sleep, anyway. Man, to sleep like I did when I was 20...!

Mine is 26x78 pad by 2.5 inches thick and I can sleep comfortably in any position, even on my side. There's nothing more important when you are beating your body up backpacking and hunting than getting a good night's sleep. It packs down to 5x10 inches. The regular size is 1 lb 4 oz and is 20x72.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    thanks Guys... I have been looking at the Big Agnes Copper Spur or Fly Creek. Still haven't landed on the pack, but have been leaning to the Just One by Eberlestock.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Quote Originally Posted by jschaffer View Post
    thanks Guys... I have been looking at the Big Agnes Copper Spur or Fly Creek. Still haven't landed on the pack, but have been leaning to the Just One by Eberlestock.
    I would go with the copper spur. The side vestibule is a lot easier to get in and out of. And cook while laying down.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 2 Times in 1 Post
    get to a store that has them in stock (the pack) and try it on. If they allow returns, buy it and load it up and hike with it. Make sure it fits you well. I have the J104 and J34. I like both packs, but they do not hold heavy weight as well as some of the other packs listed (Kuiu, Kifaru, Stone Glacier) etc. Granted it will take a load and as much as you can carry, it IMO just won't be as comfortable as some of the other beefy packs.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    BB is right what ever you do go light or your ass be draging before you get started wish I had been on here an had these guys when I was geting in to western hunting.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have the J34 it will hold more than I can pack had around 50 pounds in it this Oct I was running a mile a day here in KY for a month or so had got up to two miles a few times but was hard with the hours I work an when we hit the trail I was sucking wind dont know if it was me or the 50 pound pack or the 10,000 feet at one point I wished I had went with a lighter pack an gun

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I used the J34 pack this past October for a week in the Big Horns. This pack starts out at about 7.5 to 8 lbs empty. That is on the heavy side. The J34 pack is extremely durable and I don't think I could tear the material if I tried. The pack fit me very well and felt good with up to about 35 lbs. It does good in 'day pack mode'. When I got heavier than that, the pack started to sag. During summer training with the pack at about 65-70 lbs, it sagged pretty bad and a lot of weight was on my shoulders. I have since sold the J34 and bought a Kuiu Icon 5200. I can tell that it carries weight much better than the J34 just by loading it up with my training sand bag at about 60-65 lbs, but I have not hiked with it at all. For the price range, the J34 is very good. In my limited experience this past October in the mountains, I learned that every little ounce matters, especially for those of us who live at lower elevations and aren't acclimated to high elevations. It only took me one trip to the mountains to increase my 'pack budget' to cut some lbs and increase load carrying ability. I would pay close attention to what guys like BB recommend. They spend ALOT of time in the mountains and have already learned what works best.

Good Luck

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I have used the following for the last couple years and it has worked really well for me hunting elk in WY/MT.

Pack - Eberlestock Blue Widow. This is a great pack and I hunt with it at about 35-40 lbs. on a 3-5 day hunt (including 2 water bladders filled). It is also nice that I can haul an elk quarter out to the truck on my first trip out to get my meat hauling pack...no wasted trips.

Sleeping Bag - I use the Marmot Helium (Membrane). This is a super-light and small bag that is built for these types of backcountry trips. It packs down to about the size of a loaf of bread and less than 2 lbs. I use it well into October and have not gotten cold yet. I usually only wear my long underwear to bed and I am toasty.

Tent - The last couple years I have used the Big Agnes Fly Creek 2 (2p) which is a really lightweight tent (under 2 lbs.). Its a bit cozy for 2 people though but gets the job done. I recently bought a Easton Kilo 3 but have not used it yet. I will take it out in the Boundary Waters this Spring to test. I have used bivy sacks in the past but prefer tents, especially in crappy weather.