Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 40 Times in 6 Posts
    I started with Dad when I was 4 or 5 and I'll be 66 in a few weeks. All I can say is take him and don't look back, as time is short on this earth!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 1 Time in 1 Post
    The main thing to remember is that in your son's eyes, you are like a god. That's why it's so important to remain positive and have fun. Take note of all animal sign, and sounds, and use that as a teaching tool. Give him little chores around camp to give him purpose. Try not to put him in a position where he could mess up an opportunity for you. That would make him feel terrible. If you are successful, take your time with photos, and let him assist with field dressing. Have fun and good luck.
    Live to hunt, hunt to live.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to CrimsonArrow For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Good tips CA. I often get annoyed at my boys for getting into stuff. I will remember this trip is about teaching how to do it not watch me do it. I will even be positive if he busts a good shot. We all do it and its part of the game! I might cry just not in front of him haha.

Ok I have a new challenge. Trying to gear up my guy. I swear it sucks trying to camo up a little guy with gear worth my time and money. Two Sportsmans warehouses, and a cabelas in my vicinity. Crap for youth. So much for the big boys supporting the youth in this venture.
    What have you guys found to get the young ones clothing? Maybe I am too early or something but I swear I sent one hell of an ugly note to SW today after the experience I had there.
    I hunt because......

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Check out Kings Camo. They have a pretty good kids line and usually have a fair amount of stuff on close out. I hear ya on finding kids hunting stuff. It sucks!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I remember the first time I took "Mr. Moose" on a bowhunt-he's turning 30 next month-and still laugh about it. We were in the middle of a nasty divorce, and his mother really gave it her all to set him up for a rotten time. All the way to the area, he was saying how cruel this was, and how he really didn't want to see me hurt bambi-all the usual rubbish from his anti-hunting mother. We hike in, build a little hide, and pretty soon here comes this little spike. He stops broadside to us at maybe 10 yards, and my son's now whispering "SHOOT `IM, DAD!! SHOOT `IM". I got to explain that this was not legal, and we always need to obey the law, and besides, he'll grow up and be a fine deer someday. We walked back to camp and he was just on fire about the whole thing! He saw ethics up close, got to learn about deer, got to hear the little thing snort and blow, then bound away once we stood up and said "hi", and loves it to this day.

Now, as a certified "old guy", I'd strongly encourage you to take him hunting, and teach him the difference between hunting and killing. We go for the hunt, for the experience, not just for the blood. Most importantly, teach him that it's the hunter's duty to protect and work for the betterment of our prey. After all, if not us, then who?

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MacDonald For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Only advise I could give is for you to mentally drop your standards on quality of game. Unless lady luck is on your side and high quality animals walks out in front of you, be prepared to take a lesser animal to share the experience with your boy.

I have a little 20 inch 4 pt muley that I took with my little girl that ranks up at the top.

Totally worth it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Good tips guys. It's awesome to get so many diverse inputs. No one guy can figure it all out but as a community it's an awesome sample of experiences.
    I don't trophy hunt. Now don't get me wrong, because out there is somewhere my taxidermy bill walking those hills. However for me the hunt is the game all the way. A harvest is the cake. A trophy is the icing.
    Last year I got to play cat and mouse, and call, and challenge back and forth with my big toad. He is so weary and it so much a rush. He trashed a good 5" tree!!!! Was so awesome hearing him tear it up. I never got a shot at him and shortly after dropped a cow. My hunt was pure excitement and it was all about experiencing the animal.
    l hope for my sons sake to call in my big boy. If we get him even better!

Winning isn't everything, wanting to is!
    I hunt because......