Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 3 Posts

Spotter Magnification question(s)

Going to pull the trigger on a spotter. Is there any sense in getting one that has the same magnification (high end) as your binos or have you just duplicated the same piece of equipment?

Also, is there a huge difference between 50-60-80mm etc objectives? Upside? Downside?

Im from the school that bigger isn't always better. I need a good spotter to compliment my binos (10x42) but don't need the next Hubble.

Also looking to pack this baby around and use with my tripod.

Appreciate the help/suggestions.

Mark

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 6 Times in 2 Posts
    Several valid questions you bring up. Bigger is typically better on a 50/50 scale. The point of a spotter is to see farther and save your legs from hiking 3 miles after what you thought was a monster bull/buck. In the same hand if your shooting for an ultra light pack setup you may want to slim it down for weight purposes. Even though I consider my gear on the ultralight side. I save weight everywhere possible in order to justify 10x42 binos, 15x56 binos and an 85mm spotter. (Yes typically all three on a 2-3 day hunt) I feel they all have their purpose but some do not agree with that which is ok. Another way to justify the sizes between a 50mm a 65mm or an 85mm is light gathering ability for dusk and dawn hunting and also typically the larger the scope the more zoom capacity it will offer. If you compare the zoom of a vortex razor 65 to the vortex razor 85 you will see what I mean.
    http://www.solooutdoor.com/ Contact me for used optic specials!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    IMO a good quality 65mm is the all around spotting scope. I have a Ziess 65 and I am very happy with it. I wouldnt mind having an 80mm at times but I prefer the smaller lighter 65 for backpacking and I cant afford 2 spotting scopes right now. It also depends on the quality of spotting scope. A good 65 will do more for you then a lesser quality 80.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 60 Times in 3 Posts
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the feedback. I've been looking at some 50s and 65s. Still not sure what's going to win out.

So do either of you see an upside to the spotter if it has the same magnification as your bios?

Thanks
    Congratulations
    I think your thinking of a monocular. I guess if you really dislike binos it is an option. Im not sure of any real spotters that are a fixed 10 power optic. The intention of the spotter is to do what the binos cant. The binos have a great field if view and can show you whats close with little effort. But the spotter really shines mid day when there isnt much activity and you can spend an additional 2-3 hours in one spot just picking apart the terrain, under the trees and so on. Its a game changer for sure!

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Also I sent you a p.m

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 24 Times in 11 Posts
    For me the purpose of the spotter is for more magnification then my binos to pick apart the terrain or get a better look at an animal I spotted with my binos. I had a compact Leupold 50mm spotter a few years ago (I forget the magnification) and it really couldnt do anything my 10x42 Swarovski's couldnt do. After 1 hunt I decided it wasnt worth packing and I ended up returning it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 3 Times in 1 Post
    A spotter that duplicates your binos is redundant. You will see MORE with the binos mounted on the tripod due to the effect of binocular summation.

The advantage of the spotting scope is in a more magnified image.

I used to really like the 50mm spotter for backpacking and 80+mm class for everything else. However, I began taking the big gun on more and more backpacking trips. So now the ED50 is gone, and kept the 85mm spotter is left. I have, however, been using a 65mm scope quite a bit lately, and recognize the balance it provides in portability vs. performance.

This is a tough question, and it seems I am always changing my mind on it.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Him and I have been texting a bit. The confusion was how to read the magnification of the spotters. He was under the impression the 16-48x65 spotter was a 16 power fixed with a 48mm lens.

Easily understand where he's coming from. B.B received alot if these same questions from me a couple years ago.

Thanks
    Congratulations
    Congratulated 0 Times in 0 Posts
    I like the 65mm scope with 25x50 or 16x48 zoom lens. I'm sure hardstalk explained that the 16x48 is the adjustable zoom capabilities and not fixed power and that the 65mm stands for the size of the objective lens. It can definitely be a little confusing at first. fatrascal.